1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 05:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

He has the 545RFE, the 98 with the 5.9 has the 46RE. Two completely different transmissions.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:38 AM
ZipperStar
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZacMac

Thank you, for feed back. the transmission goes through all gears with no problem, if you place the shifter where neutral is supposed to be it will roll when pushed same when it supposed to be in park it won’t move at all so the transmission goes into all gears however will not display on the instrument cluster Park or Neutral but it does go it though gears it doesn’t get stuck it moves freely thought the gear however like I said it wouldn’t display the proper gears on the instrument cluster any other hints for this problem will be much appreciated
My 99 Durango was like that since new. the ratchet notches are correct as you move the gear selector around, but the plastic needle doesn't move in the same place all the time. I just got use to it, because I have a feel for those types of things however when a normal person drives it I find their on the highway in second so I think I'll fix it some day.
Sir all it is > is a thin string almost like a piece of corded fishing line that is attached to the selector mechanism that moves around and pulls the selector needle with it. It's common on these to get off track or the track might be misaligned, so when you move the lever around sometimes the display needle will even disappear, mine does that. My big hands can't squeeze under the dash to bend it back in place or adjust the string, but if you take some stuff apart you will be able to fix it without much effort. when you see how it works you will laugh, thinking they should have done it another way, however many American vehicles are attached the same way. I took apart an old Eldorado dash that was same silliness, but was able to get it right for this guy. He couldn't find anybody to touch it, so he was in good spirits after It worked like it should.
Just get under there and you will figure it out. I'll look at mine soon and leave another post as to how difficult it was to fix..

Last edited by ZipperStar; 02-06-2019 at 12:41 AM.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:26 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by ZipperStar
Darn, your giant trans cooler believe it or not is what I have on my 99 Durango. I'll have to see if my camera is able to see some of this stuff. I do not have an ex canister filter though. Do you think I still have that nasty check valve that needs to go? Have to remove radiator and fan on this thing, that's annoying too.
Has a huge 7 blade fan like a diesel almost, with a pitch that should pull the car, hell with the transmission. Perhaps like yours. Ya cant even see the valve with the radiator in, the hoses run under the radiator then come out from the center bottom forward to the trans. Can't see a dome thing..
Not sure about your check valve location, but you probably do have one. Your fan clutch may be stuck if it roars like that.. Spray some liquid wrench or PB blaster directly into the center where the spring is. Let it sit for a few hours then take some pliers and twist the center shaft to which the spring is connected, to try and dislodge it. If that doesn't work, you need a new clutch fan. Aside from roaring, it can waste gas if it can't free wheel at highway speeds.

This is how my fans are setup.

Old 02-06-2019, 04:24 PM
ZipperStar
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Not sure about your check valve location, but you probably do have one. Your fan clutch may be stuck if it roars like that.. Spray some liquid wrench or PB blaster directly into the center where the spring is. Let it sit for a few hours then take some pliers and twist the center shaft to which the spring is connected, to try and dislodge it. If that doesn't work, you need a new clutch fan. Aside from roaring, it can waste gas if it can't free wheel at highway speeds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qSsKzS2_L0

This is how my fans are setup.
Friend you have the wrong person, I had a hard lesson about dodge fan clutches off and on during my whole 62 years. I learned how to deal with them, could tell some weird stories but you might not need them. I'm not sure what thread your replying to right now, but thanks for effort to get to me.
My check valve is under the radiator, and radiator must be removed to gain access to it. I'm going to R+R the lower core support soon which I have, and been tripping over every day for 6 months now,, and then I will drill the valve out, or at least remove it and make sure I can blow freely through the direction of design.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:09 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Friend you have the wrong person, I had a hard lesson about dodge fan clutches off and on during my whole 62 years. I learned how to deal with them, could tell some weird stories but you might not need them. I'm not sure what thread your replying to right now, but thanks for effort to get to me.
My check valve is under the radiator, and radiator must be removed to gain access to it. I'm going to R+R the lower core support soon which I have, and been tripping over every day for 6 months now,, and then I will drill the valve out, or at least remove it and make sure I can blow freely through the direction of design.
Has a huge 7 blade fan like a diesel almost, with a pitch that should pull the car, hell with the transmission.

Sorry, I interpreted what you said earlier to be a stuck clutch fan. If that's not the case, then don't worry about it.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:08 PM
ZipperStar
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dodgevity

Sorry, I interpreted what you said earlier to be a stuck clutch fan. If that's not the case, then don't worry about it.
That's cool..

Quick Reply: Transmission problem