1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2003 Durango-grinding noise when stopping not brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 04:17 PM
tammy1970
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Durango-grinding noise when stopping not brakes

I had to pretty much rebuild the whole front end of my Durango after my passenger side wheel snapped off while driving. I now have a grinding sound while stopping that the shop that did the brakes say it is not the brakes. New brakes and rotors put on in October. It happens once the car has driven about 10 minutes or so. I did have a couple of codes come up but once I started parking flat they went away. One was the transmission control module but that went away, another was a 4wd error code (can't remember which one). Any ideas? I have no one that I know anymore that is mechanically inclined and I would rather have an idea before spending the 100's i may be spending soon.

Old 02-08-2019, 04:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Maybe a wheel bearing? Take it out and drive it until it starts making the noise. Then, drive down a lonely stretch of pavement, that doesn't get much traffic, and play pinball. Your truck is the ball, the edges of the road (or, your lane, if its wide enough) are the bumpers. Bounce from side to side as hard as you are willing to. Is the noise louder/worse going in one direction, more-so than the other?? Do you hear the noise when driving straight? Turning? Or only when you have some pressure on the brake pedal?

Old 02-08-2019, 04:45 PM
tammy1970

I do not hear the noise at all when driving, just when coming to a stop. And it is not every time either. It is usually if I come to a sudden stop. There are not too many lonely roads in Denver to go down, so that may be out of the question

Old 02-08-2019, 07:03 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

It might be the brakes after all. Does it sound just like brakes grinding?

Sometimes even though your brakes are not worn yet, the composition of cheap high metallic pads may sound just like grinding against the rotor at low speeds. I once had pads on a Toyota that almost ate right through the rotors in less than a year. Just looking at it, I could tell they used too much metal in the composition. I was refunded by the auto parts store that I got them from. Ask the shop which brakes they installed. Also, did they change the rotors? You can feel the rotors through your wheel spokes, see if there are any lines them. They should be smooth.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:44 AM
tammy1970

I will take a look at the rotors. I paid for them to be replaced. I took it back to the place that did the brakes (Firestone) and they said they had no idea. They told me if I got a second opinion and it was found that it was the brakes, they would honor the warranty. Of course I don't have extra money floating around to take it somewhere else to have it looked at again. I may have to suck it up and get it in somewhere soon.

Quick Reply: 2003 Durango-grinding noise when stopping not brakes