1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transfer case noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 04:54 AM
deanbw
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pspklutch
Pulled the drain plug and could see the chain slop. Also could see the crazy amount of rotation comparing the front shaft to the rear shaft. Mine wasn't popping out of 4hi FT 4hi PT or 4lo. Would pop in every 4wd position. Once the fluid drained out I could see the chain, and it just dangles around the output shaft sprocket. I've read multiple threads about this happening, I don't think it's all that rare with higher mileage. I pulled mine around 250,000 miles because of it.

Not to say I don't have other issues inside as well, with now 270k-ish surely there's some wear inside. I'll find out when I tear into it and likely will be putting fork guides in as well. I have the NV242 incase anyone is wondering or it makes a difference.
Well, let me know when you have some miles on it, I have over 300,000 mls, and it is rare, I get people change it when they see slop, but if you want to fix it, open it and look. Not meaning to be an ***, but I've seen this before and being an *** is a fine art....make sure you check the shift forks.....or not, it's your nickel.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:26 AM
Pspklutch
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deanbw
Well, let me know when you have some miles on it, I have over 300,000 mls, and it is rare, I get people change it when they see slop, but if you want to fix it, open it and look. Not meaning to be an ***, but I've seen this before and being an *** is a fine art....make sure you check the shift forks.....or not, it's your nickel.
Okay I'm not here to have a mileage pissing contest with anybody. If you had the amount of slop I do in your chain, you would do the exact same thing I did. You don't know what mine looks like. You can't tell me it's rare or not. Whether it is rare or not, is not able to be proven. But with the amount of threads alive out there about this exact topic would lead me to believe it's in fact not that rare. I even said at the end of my post you quoted that there is likely more wear inside the case with that many miles, and I will not know until I open it. I haven't opened it because it's a waste of money. Mismatched tires front to rear, a 3.55 rear diff and 3.92 front diff. It wouldn't make sense to fix the transfer case chain until I get a matching driveline again.

Just remember who came into this thread and quoted someone else telling them what's wrong with their truck without ever seeing it.

Good day to you.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:28 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Chain stretch is a common problem on EVERY chain driven transfer case. The folks with high mileage, and an original chain, are either very lucky, or don't use 4wd very often.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:43 AM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It's not rocket surgery to pull the t-case and swapping in a chain kit. It's a great 'out of your comfort zone' starter project. Go for it!

Old 02-14-2019, 12:26 AM
deanbw
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pspklutch
Okay I'm not here to have a mileage pissing contest with anybody. If you had the amount of slop I do in your chain, you would do the exact same thing I did. You don't know what mine looks like. You can't tell me it's rare or not. Whether it is rare or not, is not able to be proven. But with the amount of threads alive out there about this exact topic would lead me to believe it's in fact not that rare. I even said at the end of my post you quoted that there is likely more wear inside the case with that many miles, and I will not know until I open it. I haven't opened it because it's a waste of money. Mismatched tires front to rear, a 3.55 rear diff and 3.92 front diff. It wouldn't make sense to fix the transfer case chain until I get a matching driveline again.

Just remember who came into this thread and quoted someone else telling them what's wrong with their truck without ever seeing it.

Good day to you.
no pissing contest intended, just don't want you putting a chain in it only to have the same problem....as long as you're checking the rest out, all good, did not mean to offend....

Old 02-14-2019, 09:45 AM
ZEN357
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With 250,000 on it, I would consider yourself very lucky. I would drop it and have a reputable transmission shop rebuild it for you if you can afford too.

Quick Reply: Transfer case noise