1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transfer case noise

Old 02-08-2019, 05:05 PM
V10ram2500
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transfer case noise

Hiya all 2001 durango 4.7 4x4 233 transfer case 250000 miles my question is I heard a popping/ grinding noise a month or so ago in the snow . I finally got it in the shop up on 4 jack stands with it in 4hi or lo no noise. When I hit the brakes the transfer case makes the popping /grinding noise let off the brakes no noise with the truck on the ground the noise is intermittent. Do I need a fluid change or should I be looking for another tc?

Old 02-08-2019, 08:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,166 Likes on 2,920 Posts

With that many miles on it, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it weren't the chain slipping on the gears.......

Put it up on the rack, in 4wd, engine off, trans in park. (and make sure 4wd is actually engaged.) Set the parking brake as well. Now, grab the FRONT driveshaft, and turn it in one direction till it won't turn any more. Then, turn it the other direction, and see how far it turns, without the rear shaft turning as well (there is always some slop in the spider gears and such in the rear diff, so, it will likely be able to turn a bit, even with the e-brake set.). It *shouldn't* be very far at all. If you get an excessive amount of movement though, (pushing a quarter turn) the chain is in need of replacement.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:58 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

A simple NP t-case is easy to pull and rebuild.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by JeeperDon
A simple NP t-case is easy to pull and rebuild.
And kits are readily available, from basic, to everything-but-the-case.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:55 PM
V10ram2500
Amateur

Ok thanks i will go try that now

Old 02-09-2019, 01:58 AM
V10ram2500
Amateur

Ok I did what you suggested and the driveshaft moved about 2 ins in either direction. I also checked the fluid and it was low add that and the noise is still there but not as bad so I guess a rebuild is in order. Any suggestions on where to find a book for this I want to do it myself. Thanks for all the input. And....... on a final note for the night I have discovered the both capacitors by the coils are unplugged but I cant find the connectors and insight is greatly appreciated

Old 02-09-2019, 07:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Have a look here. Scroll down a ways.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:14 PM
Pspklutch
Veteran

The first time my Durango saw dirt after finally getting a set of mud tires put on I heard the terrible transfer case pop. Figured out what it was very quickly and easily. The chain stretches over time then starts slipping. Dodge apparently thought it was a wonderful idea to not put a front differential "lockout" on these so that chain spins full time no matter what mode you're in. So if you're in a financial pinch, pull the front driveshaft until you can replace your chain. I haven't had 4wd for a couple years for that and some other reasons. But that'll stop your chain from spinning.

Reason you should pull the driveshaft is, you don't want the chain to bind up and snap when you're doing 70mph down the highway. Things get real nasty real fast.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:28 PM
deanbw
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pspklutch
The first time my Durango saw dirt after finally getting a set of mud tires put on I heard the terrible transfer case pop. Figured out what it was very quickly and easily. The chain stretches over time then starts slipping. Dodge apparently thought it was a wonderful idea to not put a front differential "lockout" on these so that chain spins full time no matter what mode you're in. So if you're in a financial pinch, pull the front driveshaft until you can replace your chain. I haven't had 4wd for a couple years for that and some other reasons. But that'll stop your chain from spinning.

Reason you should pull the driveshaft is, you don't want the chain to bind up and snap when you're doing 70mph down the highway. Things get real nasty real fast.
Did you pull the back off to see it was the chain? I only ask because it is rare for that to happen. I thought the same thing until I took my case apart and found it was the plastic guides on the shift fork had worn through and the shift fork being aluminum had worn thin and would not throw drum all the way over to engage 4wd so under any load more than a straight line it would pop, and pop loud.....6 dollar set of fork guides and a little welding up the fork....all is good, well I put in a new chain while I was there, but it wasn't much different than the one I took out.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:58 AM
Pspklutch
Veteran

Originally Posted by deanbw
Did you pull the back off to see it was the chain? I only ask because it is rare for that to happen. I thought the same thing until I took my case apart and found it was the plastic guides on the shift fork had worn through and the shift fork being aluminum had worn thin and would not throw drum all the way over to engage 4wd so under any load more than a straight line it would pop, and pop loud.....6 dollar set of fork guides and a little welding up the fork....all is good, well I put in a new chain while I was there, but it wasn't much different than the one I took out.
Pulled the drain plug and could see the chain slop. Also could see the crazy amount of rotation comparing the front shaft to the rear shaft. Mine wasn't popping out of 4hi FT 4hi PT or 4lo. Would pop in every 4wd position. Once the fluid drained out I could see the chain, and it just dangles around the output shaft sprocket. I've read multiple threads about this happening, I don't think it's all that rare with higher mileage. I pulled mine around 250,000 miles because of it.

Not to say I don't have other issues inside as well, with now 270k-ish surely there's some wear inside. I'll find out when I tear into it and likely will be putting fork guides in as well. I have the NV242 incase anyone is wondering or it makes a difference.

Last edited by Pspklutch; 02-13-2019 at 01:04 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transfer case noise