1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Painting Valve Covers.. and other things.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 08:54 AM
TheCableGuy
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well..... I never said it was terrible. I love this vehicle, and everything about it. As far as “dreaded”, only reason I said that is because I have read allot of posts on 46RE issues.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:08 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

The 46re is based on the old 727. Those things lasted forever and held big power. The problem, as with everything on the internet, is people just show up to complain, so you only see the people whining about how life isn't fair to them or whatever. 99% of the time nobody says anything when all is going well. It's not a bad transmission, but if not maintained or beat on constantly, it will have problems. And that's across all makes.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:23 PM
sporta
Veteran
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TheCableGuy
So I have a small budget project in mind. I have oil leak from the valve cover gasket. Seems like an easy process to replace this but I was considering since I have the covers off, why not go ahead and paint them? Considering Mopar red. I tried to do some research but no avail for our year model. Any have any pics they’d like to share... another dumb question but painting these should be simple as it is plastic. Just sand, primer, paint and clear coat right?

Still have a pesky transmission issue like most. Truck usually just starts in 2nd gear now. My wishful thinking is just the gov. Pressure and transducer but what did everyone else do to fix their issue. Mind you I’m on a budget.. so a rebuild is pretty much out of the door for now. Opinions and thoughts.
i did install a used gov. Pressure solenoid about 3 months back and I had 1st gear then and shift was delayed but it shifted.
Did you ever get your valve covers painted? Am considering painting mine before re-assembly. Pictures and any tips would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Steve

Old 04-01-2019, 09:58 PM
TheCableGuy
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually didn’t. Had more issues happen with the wife’s car(cvpi). So the dodge is on the back burner for a bit.

Quick Reply: Painting Valve Covers.. and other things.