1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Painting Valve Covers.. and other things.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:40 PM
TheCableGuy
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Painting Valve Covers.. and other things.

So I have a small budget project in mind. I have oil leak from the valve cover gasket. Seems like an easy process to replace this but I was considering since I have the covers off, why not go ahead and paint them? Considering Mopar red. I tried to do some research but no avail for our year model. Any have any pics they’d like to share... another dumb question but painting these should be simple as it is plastic. Just sand, primer, paint and clear coat right?

Still have a pesky transmission issue like most. Truck usually just starts in 2nd gear now. My wishful thinking is just the gov. Pressure and transducer but what did everyone else do to fix their issue. Mind you I’m on a budget.. so a rebuild is pretty much out of the door for now. Opinions and thoughts.
i did install a used gov. Pressure solenoid about 3 months back and I had 1st gear then and shift was delayed but it shifted.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Use a high-temp engine paint on the valve covers. Different brands will have different requirements. Some, you can just clean them up, spray with color, and call it a day. Others can get more involved.

What engine/trans do you have?

Old 03-12-2019, 10:34 AM
TheCableGuy
Rookie

Thanks for the tips. I just noticed I couldn’t find too many members with our engines who attempted to paint em’.

5.9 magnum with the dreaded 46RE

Old 03-12-2019, 10:52 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

For the trans, I would be tempted to do a fluid/filter change, with band adjustment, and replace the governor pressure sensor/solenoid with the borg-warner heavy duty units.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:10 PM
TheCableGuy
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
For the trans, I would be tempted to do a fluid/filter change, with band adjustment, and replace the governor pressure sensor/solenoid with the borg-warner heavy duty units.
i found a kit for $80 bucks on eBay for both. I did the filter/fluid and front band adjustment when I installed the used gov. Pressure solenoid. I know used... but was super strapped at the time and I used my truck for work. It stopped the issue of not shifting at all. Now, it shifts but I have to feather it and it seems like 1st gear is non existent. I keep reading that the pressure plate above the valve body is common to break. I don’t want to take that thing down again, screw that LOL. P1740, 0711, 0712 and 0713 codes. Fun fun.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Shouldn't have to pull the valve body to change those.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:39 PM
TheCableGuy
Rookie

I might just try to wing it and not worry about checking the pressure plate for the boost valve. I don’t know about you guys but taking that valve body out and putting it back in was one heck of a pain for me. Every video I’ve seen so far shows it’s gotta be dropped to change that part out.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:40 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

My transmission is at 200k miles now and acting just fine. It's all about how you take care of things.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:45 AM
TheCableGuy
Rookie

Originally Posted by that_guy
My transmission is at 200k miles now and acting just fine. It's all about how you take care of things.

Very true. Only thing is I got the truck when it had 212 on it and a rough history for only a grand so why not lol.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:48 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TheCableGuy

Very true. Only thing is I got the truck when it had 212 on it and a rough history for only a grand so why not lol.
Well maybe that's why you have problems with it then, and not because it's terrible and dreaded?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Painting Valve Covers.. and other things.