1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2000 Durango won't idle or run correctly.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 02:38 PM
sporta
Veteran
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sporta
IT"S ALIVE!!!! With heartfelt thanks to everyone on this board, the beast is ALIVE! Just have to finish "burping" the cooling system and tighten a couple more things and its time for a road trip!
for all

Thanks again

Steve

****Edit**** Learned a major lesson doing this project. I had never used the Lash Adjusters (lifters) in any engine rebuilds before this one...I never knew they had to be "prepped". I found out that they are supposed to be soaked in oil for 24+ hrs or so and then "pumped" to get all the air out...currently experiencing a "tick" at startup...asked my mechanic mentor and he did the Homer salute (Doh!) and said that would definitely cause the sound...should go away soon with more run time.....guess I should have googled it more...oh well on to the next project....need my silver '01 back on the road next

Well <multiple expletives deleted> its DEAD. That annoying "tick" sound was not just the lifters not being fully "prepped". Upon the expert advice of my mechanic (mentor) neighbor (he advises and doesn't charge me if he doesn't have to do "all" of the work but will help out as needed) I pulled the valve covers off and we first thought we had a damaged roller "follower" (never heard a rocker arm called it before..learn something new every day) and a couple of the lobes of cam were looking sketchy...he suggested replacing the cams and followers...ok decided to go for it...found a decent priced set on ebay and began to tear the engine back down to replace the cams. We had though to just replace the cams and followers (and the lash adjusters too as they came with the cams)but something nagged at the back of my mind...I decided to pull the timing cover off...and this is what I found:

Failed Right Tensioner

Fully retracted

Good Left Tensioner
This means that I have some metal teeth floating around in the oil pan...hopefully when I drain the oil they will flow out...I will use the my bore scope and magnet to check the oil pan for them...
So now I wait for parts....raised holy hell with the company i purchased the timing set from...they are sending a complete kit only cost reduced shipping charges....hopefully Red will be back together by the weekend...

Old 06-12-2019, 05:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Well, bad and good.... Glad the company stood behind their product, not happy you have to do that job again......

Quick Reply: 2000 Durango won't idle or run correctly.