2000 Durango 4.7L 4wd Suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 12:35 AM
sporta
Veteran
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 2000 Durango 4.7L 4wd Suspension question

Hey all,

Quick question regarding the front suspensions of our Durango's...

I grabbed the picture from the service manual. The "bump stop" on my 2000 Durango is totally gone...does anyone have a part number or even the correct term for it? Need to replace my worn out shocks and it looks like I have a front wheel bearing on its way out, so I want to replace this worn out and missing piece. Or conversely, is it even worth trying to find and replace with good quality shocks???

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Old 05-20-2019, 07:01 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Do you exhibit driving behavior that prompts your suspension to fully compress? If not, then don't worry about it.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:51 AM
sporta
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Do you exhibit driving behavior that prompts your suspension to fully compress? If not, then don't worry about it.
Not really. However, I do live off a dirt road that absolutely SUCKS at times...some sections are quite bumpy, rocky, steep and nasty. It does tend to eat non 4wd vehicles up which is why I ask about it.

Old 05-20-2019, 02:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by sporta
Not really. However, I do live off a dirt road that absolutely SUCKS at times...some sections are quite bumpy, rocky, steep and nasty. It does tend to eat non 4wd vehicles up which is why I ask about it.
LOLOL. All to familiar with that.... I live on the corner of two dirt roads, and sometimes I wonder if I am not driving across the lunar landscape. There are TRACTOR swallowing craters in it..... (and today, the road commission is out doing SERIOUS work on it. YEAH!!)

Part Number: 52106438AB
Part Name: Bumper, Jounce.

Get 'em here. Like 20 bucks a whack.

Old 05-20-2019, 02:58 PM
sporta
Veteran

LOLOL. All to familiar with that.... I live on the corner of two dirt roads, and sometimes I wonder if I am not driving across the lunar landscape. There are TRACTOR swallowing craters in it..... (and today, the road commission is out doing SERIOUS work on it. YEAH!!)

Part Number: 52106438AB
Part Name: Bumper, Jounce.

Get 'em here. Like 20 bucks a whack.
Thanks! I appreciate it. Side note, what the heck is a road commission lol? around these parts (Upper Sun Valley, Nevada) our roads are public yet privately maintained, us and our neighbors are the road commission...I'll grab a picture of "hell hill" when I go out again...thankfully we don't have to use it all the time...have a shortcut the neighbors let us use When you see the pic...imagine it with about 24-30 inches of snow on it...

Old 05-20-2019, 03:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

It's nice just making a phone call, and within a few days, the road grader shows up.

Of course, a couple years back, when we got a couple FEET of snow overnight..... The plow trucks didn't show up for a week. Living out here though, 4x4 was a requirement, and my 3/4 ton has good ground clearance, so, I could get out, even when my neighbors couldn't. I spent most of one day recovering their vehicles for them. Makes for good relations with the neighbors.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:23 PM
tshephard
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, this is totally bad advice.
These are active components of the suspension.
Replace them, set height at stock and see the clearance - less than an inch, right?
Should be 3-4 inches of gap if these were just stops, they would also be very hard rubber and metal, and not 5 inches or so long of resilient compound.
They are active components for every time the suspension goes up over just an inch.
Consider them a wear part and change 'em when they look the least bad - they pull out and push in.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by tshephard
Replace them, set height at stock and see the clearance - less than an inch, right?
Should be 3-4 inches of gap if these were just stops, they would also be very hard rubber and metal, and not 5 inches or so long of resilient compound.
They are active components for every time the suspension goes up over just an inch.
Consider them a wear part and change 'em when they look the least bad - they pull out and push in.
You may also notice that I gave him a link to the parts, and pricing. Given how cheap they are, replacement seems like a no-brainer.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:04 PM
sporta
Veteran

Originally Posted by tshephard
You may also notice that I gave him a link to the parts, and pricing. Given how cheap they are, replacement seems like a no-brainer.
I took the original "bad" advice in the spirit I thought it was...basic needling HeyYou has always been a fountain of information, and he was the only one to get me a part number and the correct Dodge terminology (I had no clue what the "correct name" of the blasted part was ) . When I get to working on Red again, I will be replacing them

Old 06-13-2019, 06:56 AM
tshephard
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I get it, but I have read so much about these jounce bumpers over the years.
Until I worked on my own and did that ridiculous measure-this-measure-that setup Dodge has and found they HAVE to be almost touching at rest to slowly absorb the progress up into the chassis. I believe they work every trip, gentle drives.
Part number, great, make 'em a wear part - as they are!

Quick Reply: 2000 Durango 4.7L 4wd Suspension question