Any pointers for Power Steering Hose Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 09:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by that_guy
Was that one of those switches that raised the idle if you were turning the wheel?
That would be my guess.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:09 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I need my Durango today, so can't start working on it, but I did crawl under and looked about. I do NOT have a switch port. The high pressure line just runs from the pump to the rack. I also don't see any leak mess up higher by the cooler hoses or the pump. Now that I know what my high pressure line ends are shaped like, I can order the right part. I loose maybe 3-4 oz of fluid in 100 miles, so the truck is not out of service at all, it's just messy and needs attention paid.

Old 04-17-2019, 01:52 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I think those switches might be a 4.7 only thing from what I remember. Shrp would know.

Old 04-18-2019, 02:09 PM
JeeperDon
All Star

Thanks for the above advice guys. I swapped the hose this morning, was a really easy job actually. My splash shield has been long gone so I was able to do all the work from the bottom. I'm not 100% sure that hose was the leakage problem, we will see, but swapping out a 18 yr old high pressure rubber part seems like a good idea anyway.

Old 04-18-2019, 04:17 PM
that_guy
Champion

I found my steering gear leaking a couple years ago. Also found my pump leaking a bit. What that taught me is that most aftermarket powersteering pumps and steering gears are complete ****. I had 2 different new pumps that were DOA or died in 50 miles. And the parts store rebuilt gear I got had more slop than my 180k mile one and was binding. I had to get a factory one rebuilt for that and still just deal with the slow leak on the original pump.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:09 AM
JeeperDon
All Star

It appears the new high pressure hose didn't stop the leaking. I put it on ramps last night and I'll crawl under in a bit to dig deeper.

Old 04-20-2019, 02:33 PM
JeeperDon
All Star

After wiping things clean, running the motor, and wiping more, I think I have determined that the steering wheel input shaft on the rack is seeping fluid. The fluid slowly runs down the side of the rack housing, straight down to the high pressure fitting, where it drips to the floor. The small head of pressure by the pump and fluid tank being above the rack makes it drip all the time, even just parked in the garage, only a drop every 20-30 mins, but still messy.

On Monday I call Cardone to see my options. Even if it's under warranty and is zero $$, it's a pain to have to swap it twice.

Old 04-20-2019, 02:40 PM
that_guy
Champion

If their racks are like their steering gears or power steering pumps (all failed) I'd stay the hell away from cardone racks. With how much of a crapshoot some aftermarket parts are anymore I'd see if you can find someone that can rebuild an oem one.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:05 PM
JeeperDon
All Star

Originally Posted by that_guy
If their racks are like their steering gears or power steering pumps (all failed) I'd stay the hell away from cardone racks. With how much of a crapshoot some aftermarket parts are anymore I'd see if you can find someone that can rebuild an oem one.
At least it was pretty cheap. Everyone online and off wants maybe $150-180 for the rebuilt rack, then a core on top. Amazon had one for $160 with a "$90 rebate" which you got when you return the old one. There was no typical 'core charge'. So, the one I have was only $70. I guess I have to decide if I want another rebuilt one from Cardone for free, or start over with replacement options. I've never had issue with Cardone's work, until now.

Old 04-21-2019, 05:43 PM
b1lk1
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People really need to learn and realize that brand name has no meaning on where a part comes from or the quality. They all source the parts they sell from the same Chinese factories. Brand names are just a tax on people that refuse to see that they all come from the same place....

Quick Reply: Any pointers for Power Steering Hose Replacement