1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Major overhaul.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019 | 02:51 AM
Joseph McAuley

Originally Posted by sporta
I thought it was the hidden cash for clunkers mechanism or how to get rid of first gen Durangos lol
Mine lasted a quarter million miles :P I have a buddy with three 4.7L trucks and he said his wife drives one 1000 miles a week, and he changes the oil with havoline every three weeks, and when the thermostat stuck and it overheated and cracked a piston, the crosshatches were still present on the cylinder walls after 250K

Old 06-07-2019 | 09:30 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by Joseph McAuley
Mine lasted a quarter million miles :P I have a buddy with three 4.7L trucks and he said his wife drives one 1000 miles a week, and he changes the oil with havoline every three weeks, and when the thermostat stuck and it overheated and cracked a piston, the crosshatches were still present on the cylinder walls after 250K
That's a lot of oil changes, esp if she is running highway miles. If he ran full synthetic, he could easily triple the oil change interval. I run QSUD 0W20 (around $18 a jug at Walmart) and Fram Ultra Synthetic XG 16 filters (a far cry from the orange can of death). The oil is run for 7.5K and I run the filter for two oil changes, so 15K.

This is my dipstick at 5K, with about 12.5K on the filter.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 06-07-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-13-2019 | 01:15 PM
sporta
Veteran

Originally Posted by Swat455
This is dodges new cylinder deactivation motor...
Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yeah, but, it only works once, and can't reactivate the cylinder.
Realized that I had not posted what we found when we pulled the pan off, also full disclosure this damage was NOT caused by any members of my family...it was a CraigsList find with "only a blown head gasket" and about 93k miles on the odometer.

[WARNING PICTURES OF MASSIVE DESTRUCTION FOLLOWING, NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART]:

This is the final product we installed in the Durango:

Daytona Yellow and Grabber Green engine paint

Quick Reply: Major overhaul.