1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Major overhaul.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 01:27 AM
joe77
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major overhaul.

Hello everyone,

So I just replaced/upgraded all the steering/suspension components on my 2000 D, as well as headlight housings, and some random smaller stuff. Not long after, I found frothy oil in the sump.

I decided to find a remanufactured engine. It’s a 4.7 like before, but I also bought the mopar heavy duty radiator, flowkooler CNC machined high flow water pump, champion plugs, and a bunch of odds and ends I need or want to replace.

So with these parts and the stuff I replaced recently, I’m at maybe $5000 spent. I do the work myself so labor cost is just my time. I expect to get many more years out of this truck. Most of its life was spent in Arizona, and the structural/body rust is negligible.

I will eventually replace U-joints, body bushings, and perhaps some interior stuff to spruce it up.

Thank you!

Old 05-13-2019, 01:45 PM
sporta
Veteran
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by joe77
Hello everyone,

So I just replaced/upgraded all the steering/suspension components on my 2000 D, as well as headlight housings, and some random smaller stuff. Not long after, I found frothy oil in the sump.

I decided to find a remanufactured engine. It’s a 4.7 like before, but I also bought the mopar heavy duty radiator, flowkooler CNC machined high flow water pump, champion plugs, and a bunch of odds and ends I need or want to replace.

So with these parts and the stuff I replaced recently, I’m at maybe $5000 spent. I do the work myself so labor cost is just my time. I expect to get many more years out of this truck. Most of its life was spent in Arizona, and the structural/body rust is negligible.

I will eventually replace U-joints, body bushings, and perhaps some interior stuff to spruce it up.

Thank you!
Sounds like an awesome project. Would love to see pictures of the finished project

Old 05-13-2019, 02:31 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Seems odd that all that needed replacing. I'm at 125,000 miles and only replaced the steering rack in your list. I did have to do the trans though back at 95,000 miles.

Old 05-14-2019, 12:23 AM
car5car
Amateur

Oil gets water in it, if engine is not warmed up well. Maybe your engine is OK. Anyway you have to diagnose problem first, repair later. Compression test, wet compression test, check spark plugs, check codes. Act smart, get service manual.
Usually people don't repair cars for fun.

Old 05-19-2019, 01:32 PM
Joseph McAuley
Default Progress pics

Originally Posted by sporta
Sounds like an awesome project. Would love to see pictures of the finished project
I will definitely post finished pictures. At the moment I’m trying to find a prefabricated steel bumper for it but a lot of what I find in forums is no longer available :/

Old 05-20-2019, 09:54 AM
b1lk1
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by car5car
Oil gets water in it, if engine is not warmed up well. Maybe your engine is OK. Anyway you have to diagnose problem first, repair later. Compression test, wet compression test, check spark plugs, check codes. Act smart, get service manual.
Usually people don't repair cars for fun.
I leave my Durango sitting outside in the moisture unused for weeks at a time. Never had any froth or water inside.

Old 05-21-2019, 02:16 PM
Joseph McAuley

Originally Posted by b1lk1
I leave my Durango sitting outside in the moisture unused for weeks at a time. Never had any froth or water inside.
Yeah it was probably just a head gasket, but it has enough miles on it where I’d like to overhaul it anyway, so to save time I just swapped it. Not the most cost effective way to go about it!

Old 05-21-2019, 02:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Originally Posted by Joseph McAuley
Yeah it was probably just a head gasket, but it has enough miles on it where I’d like to overhaul it anyway, so to save time I just swapped it. Not the most cost effective way to go about it!
There are occasions when replacement IS cheaper than rebuilding....... All to frequently.

Old 05-21-2019, 02:51 PM
sporta
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
There are occasions when replacement IS cheaper than rebuilding....... All to frequently.

Especially when you pull the head off and this is the view you see....:Rebuild of replacement should begin tonight or tomorrow weather permitting...

Old 05-21-2019, 02:54 PM
sporta
Veteran

Originally Posted by joe77
Hello everyone,

Thank you!
Side question regarding the steering/suspension upgrade. Looks like I am having to replace the bushings on my power rack on my 2000 4.7l Durango. Did you replace the power rack and pinion and if so was it possible to drop it out prior to completely disassembling the front end? Going to have to try and replace it one side at a time if possible...thanks in advance. And I will be digging in the forums prior to starting...need to clear working space and get that damn 5.9 2000 D out of the driveway

Steve

Quick Reply: Major overhaul.