1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2003 dodge durango rt 5.9L: TB ticking at idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 08:57 PM
Ishmair
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 dodge durango rt 5.9L: weird tucking sound

The Durango run fine, but it making a ticking sound from the throttle body when idling. Anything I should worry about?

Last edited by Ishmair; 06-06-2019 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

From the throttle body???? That's just.... odd. Sure it isn't injectors you are hearing??

Old 05-23-2019, 06:15 AM
Ishmair
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
From the throttle body???? That's just.... odd. Sure it isn't injectors you are hearing??
Could be. I need to go with a wooden rod and listen to injector rails. I had the valve covers off and everything thing was good there when I changed the gasket. But it seem the be the loudest from the TB.
Mostly getting it ready for a transmission swap. Got a used transmission in the back. It's been driving 30,000km with a broken thrust washer in the bottom of the tranny pan. After that I got to replace all the steel brake lines.

Last edited by Ishmair; 05-23-2019 at 06:24 AM.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Nice and clean in there at least. Doesn't look like stock injectors though......

So far as I know, there isn't anything in the throttle body that should be clicking...... unless the IAC motor is somehow screwed up. (on the back side of the throttle body.)

Old 05-24-2019, 11:25 AM
Ishmair
Amateur

Video tocking sound well I was burning oil off the exhaust manifold.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:38 AM
Ishmair
Amateur

got the tranny swapped out. the next day I changed the rad because of that leak along the plastic seam.

when started it up and get slightly warmed up after 2 min of running it starts to make that tucking sound. the pitch or rate of speed of the sound does not change when the engine is rev up.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:07 AM
Swat455

Hi have you warmed it up to the point it starts making noise and pull off the belt ? To see if its a power steering pump or a pulley? Sounds like a collapse lifter but that would increase in
Rpms .whats the oil pressure doing .timing chain loose?

Old 06-06-2019, 11:22 AM
Ishmair
Amateur

Originally Posted by Swat455
Hi have you warmed it up to the point it starts making noise and pull off the belt ? To see if its a power steering pump or a pulley? Sounds like a collapse lifter but that would increase in
Rpms .whats the oil pressure doing .timing chain loose?
I didn`t pull the belt off after warm up. i used a wooden dowling up against my cheek bone touching other end to the surface of valve covers, power steering pump, and the throttle body listening for that sound. nothing in those parts are making the sound and they are sounding normal. oil pressure gauge in start up goes to the middle and doesn`t move much at all. when the temp get up to half way on the coolent and the thermostat opens up. the sound dies off. the timing chain is good and tight. for the sound seen come from near the drivers side of the engine. I`m still confused on it. I looked at video of all sorts of knocking, ticking, vaccum leak, exhaust leak, and timing chain slapping. nothing comes close to that tucking/thucking sound.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:38 AM
Swat455

Did you look real good at the springs? Poss that ones cracked .. def sounds like a metal interference hit to me . Did you also check distributor for excessive play . Youd think if it was a gear on dist or cam it would of given the ghost already . No metal in oil? . torque converter bolts poss loose but youd think youd hear that from below .. and if it was a ring broke ide think there would be loss of compression or oil smoke...did you also check spark plugs. How do they look..

Old 06-06-2019, 11:48 AM
Swat455

You also state when warmed up and the tstat opens it becomes quite?? Could your water pump bearings be going out so when cool the tstats closed putting a back pressure load on pump causing your noise thus when tstat opens its able to circulate so the loads less on the pump bearings?? Or is the thermal heat moving issue part from being hit? This is some XFiles stuff here

Quick Reply: 2003 dodge durango rt 5.9L: TB ticking at idle