1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Trying to swap transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 03:18 AM
Reigning Scorpios
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to swap transmission

Hello everyone.
Im new at this thread stuff and im not a mechanic.
I have a problem with a 2000 durango 2wd 5.9l that i am trying to picknpull a transmission for and dont understand all the compatable stuff cause they dont seem to match up. Im gussing ive got the odd ball 99 transmission, unsure of the identification because its the one with the 1" x 10" cutout at the bottom of the bell for the flywheel. I was given a list of compatable trannys and tried one but it was clearly smaller.
Like a dumbass i didnt grab the converter or flywheel (one piece) and so nothing jives with each other. The dakota that it came out of is now gone so i have to start over and im very hesitant on getting another wrong one.
Do i have to find the exact tranny with cutout or is there a way to get the smaller tranny to fit and how would i do it?
Thank you in advance.

Old 07-03-2019, 07:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

I would expect that you have the 46RE transmission, so, you can use the trans out of any dakota/durango/ram truck that also used it, 2000 or newer. So, pretty much any truck that had a V-8, (size doesn't matter here, they both used the same trans) or Durango/Dakota that had the 5.9. Must be 2wd though, 4wd trans won't work.

Quick Reply: Trying to swap transmission