1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

'01 Durango Speaker System

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 10:46 PM
Thomas Britting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation '01 Durango Speaker System

I've been looking into replacing the speaker system for quite some time. The radio sucks and the speakers need to be replaced.
I was thinking about replacing the radio and four speakers, but also adding a sub-woofer in a place where it won't be touched.
Also, what type of set ups have you done to get the best sound quality without taking out a mortgage to pay for the system?
I have the 4.7l engine and the infiniti system. I also replaced the alternator about a year and a half ago with a 160 amp version.

I'd appreciate any help I could get.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:00 AM
Zingo
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In my experience if the factory speakers are still in good condition, meaning they don't sound distorted and the cones aren't damaged, keep them for now. They're likely better than you think.
If you DO really need new speakers look on crutchfield and educate yourself on what all the speaker/amp/deck ratings and specs mean and how all they work with one another. You need balance to get quality sound.
Get a new head unit, amp, wiring, and sub woofer.
Having a properly set up sub woofer will make a HUGE difference in your sound quality.
If you're still not satisfied after a sub woofer then dig deeper. But beware it's easy to get carried away. I myself am happy with just the addition of a small sub woofer, provided the speakers are in good condition.
Also as a side note, I would imagine your infinity system has an external amplifier so it would be worth while to research if swapping in an aftermarket head unit would be keeping the amplifier in the loop or taking it out.
Hopefully somebody else with the infinity system will know this.

Last edited by Zingo; 07-07-2019 at 12:07 AM.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:22 AM
Retired-297
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had somewhat the same problem, saved a lot of money upgrading the speakers to Kenwood's 2-ways, with the insulation (baffles) kit for them from Crutchfield, one they added a lot of bass, highs and mid range. We only replaced the lower door speakers (4), so if the amp and/or the turner is not cut out or anything like that... New higher quality speaker made for a crystal clear 'high end' sound at way-way less cost.

My Vehicle; 02 Durango SLT PLUS 4WD, 8 Infinity Speakers, AM/FM Compact Disc Radio w/Chgr Ctrl amp in passenger kick panel

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
speakers.pdf (1,012.8 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by Retired-297; 07-21-2019 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Update

Quick Reply: '01 Durango Speaker System