1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Lost here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2019, 12:20 PM
Bmango21
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well maybe you should give up on it after getting it to idle fine. The suggestion of starting fluid will tell you all you need to know

Old 12-08-2019, 01:31 PM
Stevedillon
Amateur

Only reason i say i might ger rid of it is i cant just keep dumping money into it to have it sit around have to be able to get my kids to where they need to go and im at a point where im just about done with thing. Thats all would love to find the underlaying issue and knock it out love the durango. But its been a headace and a half

Old 12-08-2019, 05:47 PM
Stevedillon
Amateur

Starting fluid does nothing at all. Im trying to find a short somehwere im guessing.

Old 12-08-2019, 10:32 PM
Bmango21

Compression/timing, fuel and ignition are the three basics. We know your idle is ok when you can get it to run so I’d say compression is at least adequate. With nothing happening with highly combustible starting fluid all signs are pointing to a no spark situation. If you don’t have one, get a low cost spark testing bulb (https://www.harborfreight.com/in-lin...ker-63590.html) and that will narrow your issues down even further. You probably do have a short some where or something is not plugged in right. Could could be bad coil or it’s not getting power which you could use a multimeter on the plug going into the coil to verify. I’d say your getting close.

Old 12-09-2019, 02:45 AM
Stevedillon
Amateur
Default Spark.

Spark at the dist. At the coil and all plugs... Even when i had it in the shop for them to look at it when they found that it had jumped time. They verified spark and fuel and compression all good. But ill keep plugging at it. Thanks guys for all the replies and info and tips. Thing is just giving me a run for my money

Old 12-31-2019, 10:07 PM
Stevedillon
Amateur
Default Theres more.

Figured out that if i mash the brake pedal the D will start and idle fine. If i hit the gas fast it almost stalls but comes back up to good idle. When trying to drive her around the block or driveway it stalls. Going to get a gas preasure gauge and see what that is pressure wise. Itll idle all day long but under any acceleration stalls pretty fast.

Old 12-31-2019, 10:16 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

mash the brake pedal...… hissing noise... bad brake booster?

Old 12-31-2019, 10:19 PM
Stevedillon
Amateur
Default ...

No hissing noise. The durango just playing games with me. At fuel line i noticed with the cap off when i press the valve in it just spits a little gas out but doesn't seem like a good spray as ive read it should be. Just found it weird that smashing the brake was/is the only way to get it to start if i don't mash the brake it just cranks and cranks.

Old 01-01-2020, 11:05 AM
Bmango21

I’d disconnect the vacuum hose that goes to the booster and plug it. Don’t step on the brakes when you start it and see if it starts and acts like it does when you mash the brakes.

Do you notice a fuel smell from tail pipe?

Quick Reply: Lost here.