1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Help. Heater problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 11:16 PM
dybeepvw
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help. Heater problems

Trying to figure out why heater does not get hot enough; replaced old thermostat with new factory 192 degree the other day and engine warms up a lot quicker but heater still does not get hot, gets warm; could heater core be a problem, I don't think this model has a heater control valve, at least I can't find one under the hood. It is 98 Durango SLT plus 5.9L 4x4 with 172,000 miles on clock; runs great and still a beautiful car. Thanks for any advice.

Old 12-31-2019, 11:24 PM
noman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heater core may be plugged, mine did that. Take the hoses off and flush the core reverse the normal flow and see all the junk that comes out.

Old 12-31-2019, 11:41 PM
dybeepvw

Ok noman I will try that for sure, that makes perfect sense to me. Thanks

Old 01-01-2020, 06:12 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 584 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by dybeepvw
Trying to figure out why heater does not get hot enough; replaced old thermostat with new factory 192 degree the other day and engine warms up a lot quicker but heater still does not get hot, gets warm; could heater core be a problem, I don't think this model has a heater control valve, at least I can't find one under the hood. It is 98 Durango SLT plus 5.9L 4x4 with 172,000 miles on clock; runs great and still a beautiful car. Thanks for any advice.

Before you start throwing parts and money at it, check your hoses. Are they both hot at operating temperature? Is one hot and one cool? If both are hot, you may have a blend door issue. If the return hose is cool, then your core may be plugged. On that you can try to reverse flush it.

Old 01-01-2020, 07:10 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Before you start throwing parts and money at it, check your hoses. Are they both hot at operating temperature? Is one hot and one cool? If both are hot, you may have a blend door issue. If the return hose is cool, then your core may be plugged. On that you can try to reverse flush it.
Right. Another thing is, someone could have replaced the thermostat using one with a lower temp rating. Where is the temp gauge after full warm up?

Heater core flush here: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...re-flush.html#

Old 01-01-2020, 09:38 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 584 Likes on 529 Posts

How many miles on the engine? Does the temp gauge move very far or does it stay low on the gauge?

Last edited by ol' grouch; 01-01-2020 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:15 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

mine has a different problem.... just my feet get cold, any other choice of which vents to blow out the air will get it so hot in there I have to turn down or crack a window open.... its a linkage problem on the plenum.... on 2 of my vehicles. is this possibly what you mean? Mine blows out HOT at defrosters or in my face just not on my feet...… it hadn't been terribly cold lately and I have 2 side jobs here to tend to.... those will give me extra cash to put towards the last few quirks I have to fix on my Durango.....

just thought Id throw that possibility out there that it could be a mode door or blend door issue within the heater core plenum...…

Old 01-01-2020, 06:23 PM
dybeepvw

Back flushed the heater core today and hooked it all back up, gets a lot hotter now, looks like it working like it supposed to, all my vents and blend doors are working fine, goes to floor, dash, defrost and combination of both with no problem. Amazing this 5.9L runs just about as strong as my 08 Hemi Ram. Only had the car for about 3 months and really love it.

Quick Reply: Help. Heater problems