1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Thank you for letting me in :-)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 04:32 PM
WormsDurango
Amateur
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Thank you for letting me in :-)

I am purchasing a 98 xlt with the 318 in her. Got many plans for her. Planning to lift her and get at least 33's under her and go play in the trails. She is black with the tan interior. Pretty happy with my purchase. I have been told that the rear axle needs to be replaced so when I get her home I will get into the rear axle and see what is really wrong with it. Once I know I will let all know. :-)

Will be asking a lot of questions about all I can do with her. She has the 3.55 gears in her right now. I want to upgrade the gears though.

Old 12-19-2019, 06:21 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

I cant believe how many "bad rear ends" I have seen with truly minor issues, something like outer axle bearings or leaky seals...… I can usually rebuild one for the same or less than what a junkyard wats for a replacement.... unless the ring gear, pinion, center gears or carrier are shot.. by rebuild, I'm talking all carrier bearings, pinion bearings, outer axle bearings and all 3 seals as long as the gears aren't chipped or scored..... and doing my own I don't have a labor bill..... just parts and fluids. I like West coast Differentials or Randys Ring and pinion for rebuild kits
and IDK why/// but I always have to buy the outer axle bearings and seals separate, they never come with the kit. but it doesn't make sense to rebuild and not change all 6 bearings...…….

The following users liked this post:
WormsDurango (12-20-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 11:13 AM
WormsDurango
Amateur

Thank you sir. I have not gotten it home yet. But once I have it home I will asses the rear end and go from there. I would much rather rebuild it then replace the rear end. It would be much better then hefting around a complete rear end.

Old 12-20-2019, 11:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,290 Likes on 3,037 Posts

Originally Posted by WormsDurango
Thank you sir. I have not gotten it home yet. But once I have it home I will asses the rear end and go from there. I would much rather rebuild it then replace the rear end. It would be much better then hefting around a complete rear end.
Depending on what you find, sometimes its cheaper to just swap the whole thing, than repair what's left.

The following users liked this post:
WormsDurango (12-20-2019)
Old 12-21-2019, 08:31 AM
volaredon
Record Breaker

Yeah sometimes. Especially if you have a u pull around like I used to have, now gotta go 40 miles away. I've gotten whole rear ends for $60 before but even then I will at a minimum replace the axle seals and fluid.

Old 12-21-2019, 03:14 PM
WormsDurango
Amateur

Thank you all for the Input. Just got to get her home. I was told by Previous Owner that a "Shop" Told her it will be up to $3,000 to fix the rear end and in the end kept the Drive line. I knew a guy that owned a shop and I do not ever remember him saying that much to repair the rear unless it was thru the insurance and even then it was at a fair price. I think it was cause it was a female that took it in to the shop. I do not like shops like that. But its all good. I will get her and take good care of her and get her all pretty and out on the trails. As of right now she will be getting no bigger then 33's. BUT we will soon see.

Old 12-22-2019, 04:33 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker

What we're they supposedly gonna do for the$3k? Sounds like they just shot a ridiculous price because they didn't want that job. We're they working on the rear end itself or was it a suspension issue in the back? You could rebuild and drastically beef up both for ALOT less money

Old 12-22-2019, 04:37 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker

What do you mean "kept the driveline"? The trans and transfer case, or just the driveshaft, or what?
The "Driveline" is front and rear ends, engine, transmission, transfer case and driveshafts.

Old 12-22-2019, 04:46 PM
WormsDurango
Amateur

They kept the Drive Line From Trans to Rear axle. I have always known that to be the Drive line. Now Drive train I knew it as the engine, Trans, Transfer, axles and what have ya. Yeah the P.O. Does not quit remember what they were gonna do but she is looking for paper work to let me know what they were saying is wrong with the rear end. I told her I will just take it home and check it myself. Just got to have time to get it loaded on trailer and then take it home. Some day After Christmas I am hoping to have her in my Drive way. Then it will be time to see what is needed.

Old 12-22-2019, 04:47 PM
WormsDurango
Amateur

By the way how can you tell what trans I would have in my Rango?

Quick Reply: Thank you for letting me in :-)