1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Brakes!...(brake lines)

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2019, 06:33 PM
RickFromPhila
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes!...(brake lines)

Hey folks...IF brake lines (any)...burst or rupture while driving 2000 durango...will the vehicle stop?

My driver's side brake line went out last year, and I had it repaired/replaced. (rusted through)....

Fortunately, I was parked and started vehicle...brake line spewed fluid on the ground, and I had AAA tow it to shop. Guy said I was lucky it didn't go out while driving. Now this has me paranoid about the other lines...which are ok for now...but still...accident paranoid.

Any advice? and CAN the vehicle stop if rear lines or passenger side front goes out?

I always thought brakes had some kind of redundancy...(if I'm saying it correctly)...

Does this mean if one line goes...NO lines work???

Thanks a lot...

Merry Christmas folks!

Old 12-25-2019, 07:52 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 584 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by RickFromPhila
Hey folks...IF brake lines (any)...burst or rupture while driving 2000 durango...will the vehicle stop?

My driver's side brake line went out last year, and I had it repaired/replaced. (rusted through)....

Fortunately, I was parked and started vehicle...brake line spewed fluid on the ground, and I had AAA tow it to shop. Guy said I was lucky it didn't go out while driving. Now this has me paranoid about the other lines...which are ok for now...but still...accident paranoid.

Any advice? and CAN the vehicle stop if rear lines or passenger side front goes out?

I always thought brakes had some kind of redundancy...(if I'm saying it correctly)...

Does this mean if one line goes...NO lines work???

Thanks a lot...

Merry Christmas folks!

Prior to the mid 60's, you lost all braking. After that, master cylinders are dual cylinder. It will stop poorly and you'll brobably need a change of underwear, but you'll be able to stop. If I'm not sure of a brake line, replace it.

Old 12-26-2019, 09:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,290 Likes on 3,037 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Prior to the mid 60's, you lost all braking. After that, master cylinders are dual cylinder. It will stop poorly and you'll brobably need a change of underwear, but you'll be able to stop. If I'm not sure of a brake line, replace it.
This is completely accurate. (and got me laughing as well, because it IS accurate. )

Old 12-26-2019, 02:01 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 584 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
This is completely accurate. (and got me laughing as well, because it IS accurate. )

Driving a truck during the early 70's, I learned the wisdom of fussing over brakes. Good fluid and hoses on juice brakes and water drained from reserve tanks on air brakes. This came out while I was driving.

I've had brakes like a plum before and really don't like the feeling.

Quick Reply: Brakes!...(brake lines)