1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

A couple problems and (easy?) Fixes

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 05:43 PM
cjp1123
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple problems and (easy?) Fixes

Okay so I have a 99 Durango with a 5-2 V8 and I have a couple problems but I'm not quite sure what the causes would be.
first I found out cause i have this OBD tool that is pretty much a basic scanner that can read your throttle position and your O2 sensor relays all that good stuff; for some reason my accelerator throttle positioning sensor when my foot is completely to the floor which I assume would mean it's 100% open only reads as about 33 to 35% open, I am thinking this may be the accelerator cable being stretched wished for a second opinion on that
And a possible easy fix, ie adjusting tension or adding spacers/trimming cable
also for some reason my vehicle likes to slip out of first gear when on brakes at lights and such until about 2700 to 3500 RPM and then catch and grab jerking the entire vehicle * I can normally bypass this normally by shifting back to park and back through 1 and 2 then drive again,* it also shifts hard between first and second I am thinking that's probably due to the Transmissions age as it does have likely a hundred and ninety-two thousand miles on it although if there is a possibility from what I understand that my engine and transmission had been changed and I'm just unaware of the actual mileage due to that if it has been before I bought it
But would like a second opinion on possible causes for that as well, would be amazing
thirdly I have no panel or floor only defrost (when my blower motor cover is in place) I also have no heat but plenty of coolant, so I am unsure why on that. From what I hear if my heater core was out the entire car would run hot as it would lose coolant unless it's bypassed which I am unsure where it is to be able to look at it

Thanks to everyone for reading and helping. I wanna try to be able to make this last as long as I can so I can get an actual... NICE... vehicle later

Last edited by cjp1123; 12-23-2019 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Forgot info in issue two
Old 12-23-2019, 05:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,290 Likes on 3,037 Posts

If you can, open the throttle by hand, and see what numbers your scanner gives you. (a friend helping makes things a LOT easier.)

Trans: unplug the trans, (8 pin connector, drivers side, about halfway back, plugs straight down into the trans) go for a drive. Keep in mind, you won't have ANY automatic function. Shift like a manual. If everything works right, and it doesn't do anything odd, just replace the electronics in the trans. (and adjust the bands while you are in there.) If it is still exhibiting problems, start thinking about rebuild, or replacement.

Vents, Look for a broken vacuum line under the hood. Passenger side, close to the firewall. Likely one around there somewhere.

Heater hoses. One runs from the front passenger side of the engine, to the firewall, the other runs from the firewall, into the water pump on the drivers side. See if both hoses are getting hot.

Old 12-23-2019, 06:01 PM
cjp1123

Thanks. Soon as I have the chance I'll take a look. Probably the next couple days after christmas when,I dont have work;

I do have a feeling its probably a rebuild kinda thing knowing my luck but I'll see what i can do, The front housing leaks on the trans: though I know its not much about a quart every 3 months

I'm not sure how much "shifting like a manual" I can do between only having P R N D 1 2 on my stick but then again since first and second since is where the issue is, might be a-ok that way
Any idea what the electronic part is called that I am supposed to unplug to do this? So if I need/can afford to replace it i can find it easier

Secondary question. Anyone know where I can get an O2 sensor pigtail? My front sensors plug is melted

and I forgot to mention I have a misfire in cyl 1 and 2. And could use an idea as the cause. I think it might be the coil cause I replaced cables/plugs anf it went away for a while

Many thanks again

Old 12-23-2019, 06:19 PM
cjp1123

Ok this part i could do at work

Old 12-23-2019, 08:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Throttle position looks good. I never really expect them to hit 100%. The PCM figures out the range, and does what it needs to.

Which end of the harness is melted for the O2? Or is it both?

Its just an electrical connector, so far as I know, it should be the *only* 8-pin connector. It's fun to get to.... Especially if you have four wheel drive. With it disconnected, you only get 1, 2, and 3 anyway. No O/D, or TCC. If those three gears work right, it's just an electronics problem, and a relatively easy fix.

Old 12-23-2019, 11:59 PM
cjp1123

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Which end of the harness is melted for the O2?
Before the catalytic converter; the o2 sensor there the plug at the end that would connect to the mounted port is melted on the plug side, not,on the wiring harness side

so I need the pigtail on the side with the actual o2 sensor so that it may reconnect with the wiring harness

Old 12-24-2019, 07:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Think I would be tempted to simply replace the O2 sensor...... it's been there for a while.

Old 12-24-2019, 02:19 PM
cjp1123

Darn and that craps expensive
Like sixty bucks for each. Might as well get a new muffler as well so that i can reconnect the end pipe lmao

Old 12-24-2019, 03:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Check pricing on rock auto. NGK, or Denso sensors only please. I know my local Advance Auto parts will price match RA.

Old 12-24-2019, 03:39 PM
cjp1123

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Check pricing on rock auto. NGK, or Denso sensors only please. I know my local Advance Auto parts will price match RA.
I will keep that in mind many thanks there man

Quick Reply: A couple problems and (easy?) Fixes