1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Circuit testing help

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 01:11 PM
garmans12valve
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Circuit testing help

Just picked up a 2000 durango with the 5.9l 4x4 from a local auction and running into a few issues i was hoping to get some help with. 2 Questions: Im trying to understand what my results should/shouldnt be when doing certain tests. Attached is the asd relay circuit. Im trying to test for broken wires on this circuit. When i test for continuity between pin 87 (DG/OR wire) at the relay all the way to pin 12 at the ecm i get continuity/beep from the ohm meter. to me that is a good test and is a good wire however when i put one lead on the wire at pin 87 and then i put the other lead on any chassis ground i also get continuity which i believe it tells me that the wire is shorted to ground somewhere. After further looking at diagrams this wire runs all over the place, coils/injectors/02 sensors etc.... Since this wire goes to so many different parts i am unsure if this is a good/bad test.

The three other wires from the asd relay pin 30/86/85 all test good and no continuity to ground.

Question regarding how the pcm functions for this circuit. Does pin 3 connector 3 on the pcm provide a ground signal to pin 85 of the asd relay? If so then once the coil is energized the contacts close across pin 30/87 providing 12v to the pcm at pin 12. So that tells me that i should not be getting continuity from pin 87 to any chassis ground..

I do not want to hook up the pcm until i know this circuit is correct because the first pcm melted on the c3 connector at pin 12 which is the circuit i am referencing above. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Sorry for being all over the place with this. If you need better clarification on something on my end please let me know and ill re-write it.

Old 01-07-2020, 05:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,335 Likes on 3,077 Posts

You are correct. PCM controls the ground side of the relay control circuit. The way it sounds, the PCM has essentially been taken out of the loop on that though, and the asd relay would constantly be energized, so long as the ignition was on. (ignition supplies voltage on the control circuit.) Why that melted the connector is a mystery to me.... but, tracing the wire, and correcting the short to ground is most certainly a good place to start.

Quick Reply: Circuit testing help