1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Custom infotainment center ongoing build

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 09:08 PM
Dakota 5.9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom infotainment center ongoing build

Just wondering if anyone else has used alllllll that glorius space on the dash to make their own creations? I've got a 13.3 inch touch screen running open auto pro/Android auto that I hooked to the factory infity audio Amp. Best 2 months of development I've ever spent on a creation!

I'm still not done, A LOT of work needs to be done and I have quite a few additions I'll be adding to it like front, side and rear cameras that activate with the blinker (like newer "hyondais") im using a rasberry pi 4 4gb to run the open auto program and a random touch screen I fit into the dash that I found on ebay. I'll update here and there as I add features and get the time to post more.

Old 06-18-2020, 09:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,335 Likes on 3,077 Posts

Weren't there a/c vents in that area somewhere??

Pic is a bit dark, you should install Torque Pro on it as well.

Old 06-18-2020, 09:40 PM
Dakota 5.9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Weren't there a/c vents in that area somewhere??

Pic is a bit dark, you should install Torque Pro on it as well.
They /were/ there haha I'm working on riging an electric motor to control the hotcold vent control (because it's mechanical) then after that till just be an arduino, a relay board, and some time coding then the entire HVAC including the rear AC will be able to be controlled with the Pi so I won't have to have them ***** cluttering up the dash. (for now it's just sitting on the floor for when I want to us wit hahaha)

OAP(openautopro) is working on a OBD2 update that will add basically all torque functionality and possibly more so I'm waiting on that because torque on the pi is a struggle to get working 100% especially with my version of OAP.

I'm working on building quad led projector headlights for the front, it'll be expensive so it's going to take me some time before I have all the parts to build them but they will also be fully controlled by the pi and have auto on/off function using the light sensor I have hooked up to the pi. I plan on adding a lot of "newer" vehicle features to this truck mostly because I want to experiment and have fun with figuring out how all this works hands on and the Durango honestly seems like the perfect vehicle for it, the junk yard has rows of Durangos for my picking hahaha.
​​​Also the vents will be relocated to the bottom eventually but I rarely use the heat and the cold air helps cool the computer so I'm conflicted if I do want to move the vents at all, the air blows around the screen and cools the cabin just as well already so that's pretty low priority on the list right now honestly haha but I have other ideas as well on what I could do.
​​​​

Last edited by Dakota 5.9; 06-18-2020 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,335 Likes on 3,077 Posts

See how automated you can make your 'Rango? Looks to be a fun project. Definitely keep us updated.

The following 2 users liked this post by HeyYou:
Dakota 5.9 (06-19-2020), sporta (06-19-2020)

Quick Reply: Custom infotainment center ongoing build