1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Engine Swap - 01 Durango 4.7-5.9

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 07:56 PM
Robert Buttrick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine Swap - 01 Durango 4.7-5.9

I haven't really seen any info that doesn't leave me with further questions.

I have 2 Durangos.
2001 - 4.7 (Lifter or timing chatter/issue)
2001 - 5.9 (my parts car and runs just fine)

As both are '01 Durangos, what I am looking for is what is necessary for engine swap. The plan is swap the 5.9 into the 4.7 Durango while I rebuild the 4.7 engine (currently 275,000 miles), then put it back. My idea is keeping the vehicle original in all aspects, but I need to drive it while I am refreshing the 4.7. original engine.

I'm figuring, as both vehicles are same year and model, that swapping the engines should be simple overall (engine/trans together) if I use the complete wiring harnesses for engine and trans and computer(s) for the 5.9 and just drop it in as a "complete unit".

I've done custom swaps in the past, usually not for my daily driver and were non-computerized, but that was also GM and the last swap was more than 20yrs ago anyway. I'm a bit rusty these days. As the current suv with the 4.7 is my daily driver, I want a clean and quick swap to limit the downtime.

If anyone has done similar swaps to this, advice greatly appreciated. I see a lot of engine swap info, but usually different year models, generations, or even Dakota to Durango or Durango to Ram, etc, or advice to just get a Hemi instead. What I haven't seen is any info on one that would seem to be as simple as this where both the donor vehicle and recipient vehicle are same year and model.

Thanks in advance.........

Old 06-27-2020, 10:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,290 Likes on 3,037 Posts

Unless you have something else to drive while you are doing the swap, Think I might be more tempted to just pick up a 4.7 core, rebuild that, then it's a direct swap, and no worrying about all the electronics. Twice.... Seems like an awful lot of work for a temporary solution.

The following 3 users liked this post by HeyYou:
Dodgevity (06-28-2020), shrpshtr325 (06-29-2020), sporta (06-28-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 05:58 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

whats wrong with the truck that has the 360 that makes it the "parts truck"? Id make that the "good" truck and strip any non power train parts needed from the .4.7 rig then scrap the hulk.
or if the 4.7 rig is the "better truck/ body condition, options you like, frame, suspension etc I'd put the 360 with all wiring and such into the 4.7 truck's chassis then get rid of what is left and forget about the 4.7.
when we decided to try a Durango because the square body Cherokees were so highly priced (we could buy 2-1/2 to 3 whole Durangos for the going price of another XJ Cherokee) I passed on many Durangos that "looked nice" and had less miles than the one we did buy had on it at the time/ to get one with a nice rust free body and either a 318 or a 360.

Old 06-29-2020, 08:50 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Buttrick
I have 2 Durangos.
2001 - 4.7 (Lifter or timing chatter/issue)
2001 - 5.9 (my parts car and runs just fine)

As both are '01 Durangos, what I am looking for is what is necessary for engine swap. The plan is swap the 5.9 into the 4.7 Durango while I rebuild the 4.7 engine (currently 275,000 miles), then put it back.
If it's just a lifter issue, you can pull the valve cover and fix that easy enough. Even a timing chain job can be done without pulling the engine.

The following users liked this post:
sporta (07-08-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 06:57 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Im still curious why the 360 powered vehicle is the "parts truck" of the 2?

Old 07-07-2020, 11:10 AM
Robert Buttrick

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Unless you have something else to drive while you are doing the swap, Think I might be more tempted to just pick up a 4.7 core, rebuild that, then it's a direct swap, and no worrying about all the electronics. Twice.... Seems like an awful lot of work for a temporary solution.
Instead of continuing to drive a vehicle with an engine issue while I rebuild another 4.7, it's actually simpler to go with what I already have on hand and not spend an extra, $300-$500 for a core (average cost in my area) to build up.

Also, as a temporary solution, the temporary time-frame may last as long as 6 months with machine shops, parts availability, etc., being an unknown (hours of operation, etc.) with all that is going on these days...

Last edited by Robert Buttrick; 07-07-2020 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:15 AM
Robert Buttrick

Originally Posted by volaredon
whats wrong with the truck that has the 360 that makes it the "parts truck"? Id make that the "good" truck and strip any non power train parts needed from the .4.7 rig then scrap the hulk.
or if the 4.7 rig is the "better truck/ body condition, options you like, frame, suspension etc I'd put the 360 with all wiring and such into the 4.7 truck's chassis then get rid of what is left and forget about the 4.7.
when we decided to try a Durango because the square body Cherokees were so highly priced (we could buy 2-1/2 to 3 whole Durangos for the going price of another XJ Cherokee) I passed on many Durangos that "looked nice" and had less miles than the one we did buy had on it at the time/ to get one with a nice rust free body and either a 318 or a 360.
The 4.7 is a perfectly good vehicle, the 5.9 one is a salvage vehicle that runs and drives, even though it has accident damage, hence the swap.

Old 07-07-2020, 11:17 AM
Robert Buttrick

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
If it's just a lifter issue, you can pull the valve cover and fix that easy enough. Even a timing chain job can be done without pulling the engine.
At 275,000 miles, it is best to just go ahead and rebuild if I am going into the engine for a lifter repair. In actuality, after taking the valve cover off, it is most likely not lifter but timing chain/tensioner/oil pump issue.

Old 07-07-2020, 11:43 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Buttrick
At 275,000 miles, it is best to just go ahead and rebuild if I am going into the engine for a lifter repair. In actuality, after taking the valve cover off, it is most likely not lifter but timing chain/tensioner/oil pump issue.
I'm at 314K and just replaced all my lifters after one seized. I'm at the distinct advantage of knowing my engine condition though. Yeah, if you're going to replace chains, etc. Might as well do the full Monty.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 07-07-2020 at 09:23 PM.
Old 07-07-2020, 03:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,290 Likes on 3,037 Posts

What is wrong with the engine currently in the truck? Is is just running poorly/not at all? Making rude noises?

Quick Reply: Engine Swap - 01 Durango 4.7-5.9