2001 Durango 4.7L - No Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 05:29 PM
sporta
Veteran
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Results of compression tests?

Hook up a battery charger and let it crank a good long time. Try cranking with pedal to floor.
Update, installed Mopar crankshaft position sensor and still no joy. I've let it crank for an extended period of time with the pedal on the floor and nada...going to get a compression tester and check that next.

It seems (without the numbers to back it if course) that there is good compression...but I will check it for sure.

It HAS to be something stupid I've missed...it almost starts then nada...

Still scratching my head..

Any other suggestions welcome.

Steve

Old 07-11-2020, 03:47 PM
sporta
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yes. But, if it was a security issue, the light in the dash should be on, or blinking.... one of the two.
Yesterday I did some digging into the beast and made a discovery. We've had this '01 for about 4 years or so and I swear, sometimes I think "Sometimer's" is beginning to set in (as opposed to alzheimer's, it doesn't happen all the times :P). I had forgotten that the previous owner (or the financing company that the owner purchased it from) had a Clifford Prime Level 3 auxiliary alarm installed! When I first discovered it like 4 years ago I called the phone # located on it and found out it had the remote disable feature in it where the finance company could remotely kill the vehicle if it was "out of the area it should be in" (example was if someone looked it up and found the vehicle location a Wal-Mart 1500 miles from home at 01:30, they could shut everything down until the purchaser called in to verify it was them.....freaky if you ask me..and according the to guy on the phone some of the "buy here pay here" companies have abused it in the past and have shut customers cars off on a late Friday/early Saturday an then not being in the office until Monday thus stranding people until then.....)

Now to the best of my knowledge it has never worked since we have owned it, When I called the number, after confirming the number on the device and the vin #, it was not active in the system and was not functioning. I had even disconnected the "Valet Switch" when I found it....but we completely remove it from the vehicle and found the main ignition wire that was cut to wire it into the blasted alarm. Reconnected the wire and still not starting.

Think it has to be an electrical issue with the blasted car...we hooked up an oscilloscope to one of the injectors and it looked like the pulse was not strong enough to open the injectors. My mechanic guru is researching this more...hopefully we are getting close to a solution.

Steve

Old 07-21-2020, 10:27 PM
sporta
Veteran

Update: I am flat out pi$$ed off at both the part supplier and myself! On a hunch, I pulled the passenger side valve cover to check the right cam gear (JTEC Target Wheel) to see if it was different from the donor motor's...IT FREAKING WAS! I'll post comparison pictures tomorrow after I get her torn back down ...I realized that I hosed myself 2 ways: I did not save the target wheel that came off the engine (280k on it and I had a shiny new set) and I did not closely compare the new target wheel to the existing. Long story short, in the new KIT that I purchased (making sure the engine codes were correct for the JTEC motor) the target wheel openings that would trigger the cam sensor were NOT THE SAME! So I get to tear her down tomorrow and try this all again.

Was going to start tonight but the thunder and lightening is getting closer...so I'm going to have a cold beer and hit it tomorrow....

Steve

Old 07-29-2020, 03:53 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by sporta
Was going to start tonight but the thunder and lightening is getting closer...so I'm going to have a cold beer and hit it tomorrow....

Steve
So how'd it go, Steve?

Old 07-29-2020, 01:23 PM
sporta
Veteran

So how'd it go, Steve?
Sorry it took so long to reply....it went mostly GREAT! Swapped the target wheel that came in the kit with one off the donor motor....got her back together and it fired up extremely easily (as it should have in the first place lol) ! Now for the "mostly" part..I buggered the valve cover gasket, the gasket hung up on the last bearing bolts of the cam and folded under...so she puked oil all over from the rear of the valve cover...so I loosened up the cover and with dad providing extra hands, I was able to get the gasket back down properly with just a bit of effort...
Here is a pic of what I found (note in full disclosure, this pic came from Amazon and the 1 * review...I'll get pics of my gears in a few):

Its pretty much 100% of what I found.

So glad she is running...now just to tidy up a few things and finish putting the interior back together.
Also if anyone is wondering, I did take the inner fenders off to access the engine better, this is the kit I got from Harbor Freight to install poly rivets:

The various sizes worked great to re-secure the inner fender.

Steve

Old 07-29-2020, 05:42 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Now for the "mostly" part..I buggered the valve cover gasket, the gasket hung up on the last bearing bolts of the cam and folded under...so she puked oil all over from the rear of the valve cover...so I loosened up the cover and with dad providing extra hands, I was able to get the gasket back down properly with just a bit of effort...
Glad you got it fixed. I used rubber bands for keeping the valve cover gaskets in the groove....

Also if anyone is wondering, I did take the inner fenders off to access the engine better, this is the kit I got from Harbor Freight to install poly rivets:
I got that same kit from Harbor Freight about two years ago. It's still brand new in the pack. I used zip ties to secure the fender liner instead.

The following users liked this post:
sporta (07-30-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 02:48 PM
sporta
Veteran

Glad you got it fixed. I used rubber bands for keeping the valve cover gaskets in the groove....

I got that same kit from Harbor Freight about two years ago. It's still brand new in the pack. I used zip ties to secure the fender liner instead.
LOL I don't think the wife would have allowed zip ties...after all it is her baby with its heated seats lol. And that is a good idea with the rubber bands

Old 08-01-2020, 10:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,290 Likes on 3,037 Posts

You take the zip ties out before you torque 'em down.

Quick Reply: 2001 Durango 4.7L - No Start