1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Gear winding noise - Used differential

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 04:19 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gear winding noise - Used differential

I had to replace my broken front differential assembly with a used one from the boneyard. mechanic cleaned it up and reinstalled. The gears makes a very noticable variable pitch noise when it approaches 40 mph and gets loud by 55 mph and starts to quiet down after 65 mph.

It will only make this noise if under power. if it is coasting, no noise at all. I also notice that coasting below 30 mph, I can hear lower pitch gear winding noise.

Is there any fix to this. I assume my mechanic may not have moved my original gears to the used differential housing.

Thanks,

Old 07-01-2020, 04:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,290 Likes on 3,037 Posts

Sounds like possibly a bad pinion bearing.

So long as it has the correct gear ratio, just fix the noise problem, don't worry about the gears.

Old 07-01-2020, 04:46 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will have to assume it should be the correct ratio (3:92), otherwise, the front end drive train may be going up in smoke otherwise.

I am not knowledgeable when it comes to the drive train aspect of my truck. Just the engine side.

Where is the pinion bearing located on the front drive train?

Old 07-01-2020, 06:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The pinion gear is the part the driveshaft bolts to. Which means..... the axle has to be removed, and pretty much disassembled to change those bearings. Not an inexpensive repair, rather labor intensive.

Old 07-01-2020, 07:20 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

yup as long as the replacement diff was the same ratio as the old ones then no need to swap gears into this housing. I can find front diffs pretty cheap, probably quickest/ easiest way to get back underway... swap the whole unit.

Old 07-01-2020, 09:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by volaredon
yup as long as the replacement diff was the same ratio as the old ones then no need to swap gears into this housing. I can find front diffs pretty cheap, probably quickest/ easiest way to get back underway... swap the whole unit.
Yeah, I gotta agree with this sentiment. How hard is it to find the correct gear ratio though? I know some were FAR more common than others.... at least, on the trucks.

Old 07-02-2020, 12:00 PM
Mawgman1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most likely pinion bearing like others have said. Currently having my mechanic rebuild my rear end for the same noise complaint.

Quick Reply: Gear winding noise - Used differential