1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Trans temp light on

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 05:13 PM
Ryan Garcia
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 dodge durango 5.9 4x4 Trans temp

Hello I was wondering if anyone would be able to shed some light on my trans temp light being on. I have replaced both trans cooler lines as well as the trans cooler and radiator.

Last edited by Ryan Garcia; 09-10-2020 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,290 Likes on 3,037 Posts

What are you driving?? Engine? Trans?

Old 09-10-2020, 07:47 PM
Ryan Garcia

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What are you driving?? Engine? Trans?
driving a 1998 dodge durango 5.9 with a 46re transmission.

Old 09-10-2020, 07:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Couple things to check.

First, make sure trans fluid level is correct. Have to check it in neutral, as checking in park will give you an artificially high reading.

Second, there is a check valve in the cooler line running to the radiator, they are notorious for clogging up, and preventing adequate flow thru the cooler..... It is generally located right where the line transitions from steel, to rubber, just in front of the motor, on the passenger side. (at least, on the same year trucks it is......) Should be the line going to the BOTTOM radiator fitting. If you still have the check valve, get rid of it. You can just drill it out, clean the line REALLY well, and reinstall, or, just replace that bit of line with some trans line from the parts store. (should only need about foot.) Don't forget the clamps.

Either way, you will need the release tool for the 3/8ths quick connect. Don't know if the parts stores rent those or not. The plastic 'multi-tool' type fellers won't go in there, so, keep that in mind. I think I spent 15 bucks or so on the cool aluminum one, specifically for that size. (which, conveniently enough, will also fit the fuel line at the intake. )

Old 09-10-2020, 07:59 PM
Ryan Garcia

Even though the lines are brand new and I've changed the cooler and cleaned the trans pan before putting the new lines.

Old 09-10-2020, 09:16 PM
Ryan Garcia

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Couple things to check.

First, make sure trans fluid level is correct. Have to check it in neutral, as checking in park will give you an artificially high reading.

Second, there is a check valve in the cooler line running to the radiator, they are notorious for clogging up, and preventing adequate flow thru the cooler..... It is generally located right where the line transitions from steel, to rubber, just in front of the motor, on the passenger side. (at least, on the same year trucks it is......) Should be the line going to the BOTTOM radiator fitting. If you still have the check valve, get rid of it. You can just drill it out, clean the line REALLY well, and reinstall, or, just replace that bit of line with some trans line from the parts store. (should only need about foot.) Don't forget the clamps.

Either way, you will need the release tool for the 3/8ths quick connect. Don't know if the parts stores rent those or not. The plastic 'multi-tool' type fellers won't go in there, so, keep that in mind. I think I spent 15 bucks or so on the cool aluminum one, specifically for that size. (which, conveniently enough, will also fit the fuel line at the intake. )
Even though the lines are brand new and I've changed the cooler and cleaned the trans pan before putting the new lines.

Old 09-10-2020, 10:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Did you do anything with the check valve??

Could be a bad sensor I suppose. Have a scanner you can plug in, and see what the pcm thinks trans temp is, when everything is stone cold?

Old 09-11-2020, 10:26 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan Garcia
I have replaced both trans cooler lines as well as the trans cooler and radiator.
I assume that also means you changed the filters?

I'm not familiar with the 46RE but my 545RFE has two, a flat filter and spin-on. I once replaced the spin-on with a cheap aftermarket but found out it didn't have the anti drain-back valve and who knows if it was designed with a bypass in case it clogged? I ended up replacing it with a Mopar filter. The flat filter can be back flushed with a garden hose.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 09-11-2020 at 10:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Trans temp light on