1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

99 Durango 5.9 v8 Anti spin differential issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 08:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,335 Likes on 3,077 Posts

By a couple hundred bucks, plus, installation is a LOT cheaper.

Old 09-24-2020, 10:15 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

You could always hit the pull a part, get a whole lsd carrier for $75 or so. Spend another $120 or so on new bearings and clutches, and have a factory lsd for cheap. Won't be as good as something like a yukon or auburn lsd, but will be a lot more streetable than one of those powertrax lockers.

Old 09-26-2020, 11:57 PM
Rods28
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by that_guy
You could always hit the pull a part, get a whole lsd carrier for $75 or so. Spend another $120 or so on new bearings and clutches, and have a factory lsd for cheap. Won't be as good as something like a yukon or auburn lsd, but will be a lot more streetable than one of those powertrax lockers.
​​​​​​Mmm...you say that those powertrax have some issues on daily driving? I would like to have it OEM with the track loc but always good to know more options as the ones mentioned above! Still new to these diff options!

Old 09-27-2020, 09:41 AM
that_guy
Champion

Lunchbox lockers in general have issues daily driving. Lots of them are noisy and abrupt engaging. You have to take it easy around turns so they don't lock up and make your inner tire chatter. If you're not careful it'll suddenly lock up on you and kick the back end out.

It'll be better off road, but you're giving up smoothness and drivability on road.

Old 09-28-2020, 04:47 PM
00t444e
Captain

A luncbox locker is far better than the junk factory limited slip both on and off road. I have driven with luncbox lockers for years, no issues with daily driving, I often forget that I have one, never had it lockup and kick the rear end out either. People need to try stuff for themselves before parroting everything they read online, I read about the same BS years ago before I had lockers and I finally got one and have installed several more since and I have never had any of these issues people always talk about.

Old 09-28-2020, 05:05 PM
that_guy
Champion

Originally Posted by 00t444e
A luncbox locker is far better than the junk factory limited slip both on and off road. I have driven with luncbox lockers for years, no issues with daily driving, I often forget that I have one, never had it lockup and kick the rear end out either. People need to try stuff for themselves before parroting everything they read online, I read about the same BS years ago before I had lockers and I finally got one and have installed several more since and I have never had any of these issues people always talk about.
Have you tried every lunchbox locker out there to see how it behaves on the road? If not how about you go do that before you go parroting up stuff too. It works both ways buddy.

My point stands. Lunchbox lockers typically are not as nice on the road as an lsd, but will be far better off road. There may be some quiet lunchbox lockers out there, but most people will say they do back noise, buck on turns, and lock suddenly on you if you aren't careful. It's a tradeoff that the op will have to decide on.

Old 09-28-2020, 05:12 PM
00t444e
Captain

Originally Posted by that_guy
Have you tried every lunchbox locker out there to see how it behaves on the road? If not how about you go do that before you go parroting up stuff too. It works both ways buddy.

My point stands. Lunchbox lockers typically are not as nice on the road as an lsd, but will be far better off road. There may be some quiet lunchbox lockers out there, but most people will say they do back noise, buck on turns, and lock suddenly on you if you aren't careful. It's a tradeoff that the op will have to decide on.
Have you ever tried one at all? I am not parroting anything I am speaking from my personal experience with the Lock Right, Spartan and Aussie lockers, my only regret is not installing them sooner than I did.

Old 09-28-2020, 05:56 PM
that_guy
Champion

By your definition I'm parroting for making a general statement about lunchbox lockers, so again by your definition you are as well.

I haven't had any of them in my own stuff because of being around other people's trucks that did have them and either heard/felt them being noisy or heard that from them, the powertrax in particular. Those guys still keep them in their trucks because they're willing to live with the downsides. I decided it wasn't worth the noise and harsh engagement for me.

Old 09-28-2020, 06:29 PM
00t444e
Captain

I have never had any harsh engagement issues and I can only hear them if I am going really slow, while turning with the windows down and my head out the window. 85w140 gear oil keeps them pretty quiet, for every day driving the traction you get is great, that's why I install one in every vehicle I own, not to mention they do great off-road.

Old 09-28-2020, 06:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,335 Likes on 3,077 Posts

Just like any true locking rear diff, ya gotta learn how to drive it. They lock up only under power, which, you generally aren't doing when slowing for a corner, or whatnot. Now, start adding significant power mid-corner, and you may get a surprise. But, the same is true for the detroit locker, etc.

I like the true track as it is a limited slip diff, doesn't lock, so, no bad habits/noisiness there, and it is gear-driven, so, no clutches to wear out. You install it, fill up the diff, and forget about it.

Quick Reply: 99 Durango 5.9 v8 Anti spin differential issues