1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Is it an Intake Manifold Gasket a Blown Head Gasket or a Cracked Cylinder Head?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 09:03 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 381 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Isn't there a bleed valve somewhere on that cooling system??
Yes. I keep forgetting there is one because I've never been able to crack mine. It's rounded off every allen wrench that I've tried on it.

The following users liked this post:
Cm3geese (10-06-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 09:38 PM
Cm3geese
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermostat changed and still overheating with it idling and the AC on is this normal?

Had to have the thermostat replaced, The top bolt to the neck of the thermostat was stripped. (Thanks whoever left me this) $180 dollars later it is still overheating! I am frustrated with this. Is it possible that the radiator is bad? What's your thoughts? Is it possible the sensor is bad? I got it back from the mechanic and it overheated right away just idling. He says he ran it for 45 min and got all the air out of the system. I checked the overflow tank when it cooled and it did not even register on the overflow dipstick...I will let him know Monday. I went ahead and added 50/50 to the over flow tank to full line and it does ok until I idle with the AC on? Then it heats up and trips the check gauges light on the dash. Anybody

Old 10-11-2020, 08:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,335 Likes on 3,077 Posts

Radiator clogged up? Is there an auxiliary electric fan that is supposed to run with the a/c on? Is the water pump shot?

Old 10-11-2020, 04:48 PM
Cm3geese

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Radiator clogged up? Is there an auxiliary electric fan that is supposed to run with the a/c on? Is the water pump shot?
Flushed Radiator did not look too bad! It does have a new fan clutch two months ago and it is running when the AC is on. Brand new water pump a month ago? My guess is either a bad radiator (poor circulation cannot see fins on front has the cooling core in front of it) or a bad Block temp sensor? It is pulling air through the radiator. When I put a paper towel to the radiator it sucks the paper up to the cooling core.

Old 10-12-2020, 10:08 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,335 Likes on 3,077 Posts

Get yourself an IR temp gun, and shoot the radiator in various places. See if temperatures seem reasonable for location on the radiator. If you have spots that are significantly cooler than you think they should be, probably a plugged up radiator.

Old 10-12-2020, 10:53 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 381 Likes on 342 Posts

If you end up getting a radiator, I suggest this one. Due to it's extra capacity (vs standard parts store aftermarket) it will have your truck cooling nice. Just be sure it fits. I have the tow package which comes with heavy duty cooling.

Amazon Amazon

Cm3geese (10-12-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 01:24 PM
Orion Wright
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your clutch fan too, auxiliary fan should run with ac. On my 4.7 after a whole overhaul it needed the clutch fan.

Cm3geese (10-12-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 05:33 PM
Cm3geese

Originally Posted by Orion Wright
Check your clutch fan too, auxiliary fan should run with ac. On my 4.7 after a whole overhaul it needed the clutch fan.
Over heated and sure enough clutch fan bad and A/C fan not working

Quick Reply: Is it an Intake Manifold Gasket a Blown Head Gasket or a Cracked Cylinder Head?