1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

ABS bleeding questions!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 12:48 PM
Dakota 5.9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS bleeding questions!

Welp I done fukkered her up good this time 😂 added a 3" lift to my rango but didn't see that the brake line was rubbing on the control arm after the lift so she popped. My father was using my vehicle when it happened in the middle of rush hour traffic, luckily he got off the road safe and parked it 5 miles from the house. so I did the only thing the Canadian in me could do, threw a bolt in the brake line, lodged a bolt in the ebrake release so it wouldn't latch then sent er home using the ebrake like a normal brake 😉🤣 left leg got a good ol workout after not having a manual for a long while.

So my questions are
#1 will a super chip flashpaq be able to modulate the ABS module so I can bleed the system? It says it's a full scanner as well so I'd imagine if it could program that it could modulate the abs.

#2 if the flashpaq doesn't work can I simulate some sort of braking sanario? I have a spare wheel hub with a sensor could I have someone in the truck on a lift spin the wheels then step on the brakes while I spin the spare hub I have hooked to the abs to simulate a lost of traction sanario and make the module pulse to bleed it? I heard you could take her on a dirt road hit the brakes hard to active the abs then bleed it after (obviously repeat this a few times) thish might work kinda on that same principle.

#3 anyone know of a scanner thats super cheap ($300 or less) that will modulate the ABS for bleeding?
1999 4x4 durango SLT+ 5.9 all "4wheel" ABS

Last edited by Dakota 5.9; 10-06-2020 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-06-2020, 01:50 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Dakota 5.9
I heard you could take her on a dirt road hit the brakes hard to active the abs then bleed it after (obviously repeat this a few times) thish might work kinda on that same principle.
^^^This^^^... bleed it at the wheels a few times, then take it on the dirt, or wet road. Might be all you need. Cross the other bridge if you get to it.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 10-06-2020 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,290 Likes on 3,037 Posts

Be prepared to lose a lot of your braking power if there is indeed air trapped in the abs mechanicals..... May or may not happen, but, just in case.

Old 10-08-2020, 08:14 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

did the system actually run dry of fluid? if no (im assuming not since it sounds like you plugged the line) then you have a good chance of not having air in the ABS system. bleed it and go for a test drive and see how it goes, just be careful

Old 11-02-2020, 03:21 PM
JackO91
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem you do so I bought an Autel Maxi Check. It will bleed ABS brakes but I haven't figured out how to do it yet, was hoping someone on here could tell me. Anyway, good luck and here is the link to the one I bought.

Regards, Jack

Amazon Amazon

Old 11-08-2020, 02:18 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

You really just need to get it to cycle the various solenoids in the abs pump/module to get trapped air out. I've also had good luck with a motive power bleeder, but I only have RWAL.

The following users liked this post:
JackO91 (11-08-2020)

Quick Reply: ABS bleeding questions!