1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 12:13 AM
sporta
Veteran
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by RLewis
Thanks for the response. I pulled the valve cover and it looked normal. The right secondary timing chain could be a little loose, but I am not sure. It is my understanding that the tensioners rely on oil pressure and when I inspected there was no oil pressure. Another mechanic friend I showed it to also believed it was the timing chain. He listened to the noise and recommended trying a Lucas Oil additive. I tried the additive and it didn’t work. Is this something I can live with for a while (just noise) or should I replace soon?
When you say no oil pressure, are you relying on the dash gauge or have you attached a mechanical oil gauge? From my experience, if that tensioner fails, you will have valve damage (when it failed on my '00, it killed all 4 intake valves) and maybe piston head damage. Might want to pull the plug on the passenger head behind the AC compressor and see if you can get a endoscope in there.

Steve

Old 10-29-2020, 01:30 AM
RLewis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I was not clear. Oil pressure in the vehicle is fine. I just was not sure whether the tensioners would be fully extended with the valve cover off because the engine was not running. My friend recommended the Lucas Oil additive because he thought the noise was the chain rubbing against the guide. I plan on removing the oil filler to see if I can get a closer look at the guide before pulling big things apart. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quick Reply: Engine Noise