1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

03 Larado 4.7 to O1 Durango SLT engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 01:49 PM
4.7 Jonesin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Larado 4.7 to O1 Durango SLT engine

Apparently The O3 Larado 4.7 utilizes the 32 crank reluctor wheel .While The 4.7 SLT is equipped with the 16. Is that correct?
I swamped the 4.7 Laredo engine i into the Durango SLT.
Having become aware of the difference after the fact Only to end up with the same problem as the previous motor in the Durango and the original motor in the Durango although I haven't taken the Laredo engine apart yet I did check it out out at the wrecking yard for bearing wear, and resistance in the engine by hand cranking it & check the oil pan for metal fragments while the oil pan did have sludge in it with what appeared to be normal silver coloration in the sludge such as when an oil change hasn't been performed for a great period of time and you get that silvery color in the oil when you change it but there were no fragments as well checked the radiator for any oil residue all of which was negative so having swamped the motors out and upon starting the vehicle which ran it appears to be a wrist pin or perhaps a bearing failure although it my initial thought was his timing because a head on the passenger side Hadbeen changed on one side of that motor and only one side of the tensioner arms had been replaced which tells me they didn't do the other side it was just a single head job.
And again I'm stuck with the same problem as the last two motors is after it warms up it sounds like a big *** church bell on a V8 motor.
Initially my thoughts on it being the timing being a tooth off was the fact that the only codes that came up were the p351 through p 358 not necessarily in order so I don't know what's up other than I have different reluctor wheels and have managed to snap a ring pinApparently the sprockets and main timing gear are different in the two motors as far as the timing goes.
Is that about right any thoughts would be appreciated

Old 06-12-2021, 02:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,335 Likes on 3,077 Posts

If you had a different reluctor wheel, it wouldn't even start. The engine differences are by year of manufacture, not what it was stuffed into.

Can you tell where the noise is coming from?

Old 06-12-2021, 02:59 PM
4.7 Jonesin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If you had a different reluctor wheel, it wouldn't even start. The engine differences are by year of manufacture, not what it was stuffed into.

Can you tell where the noise is coming from?
My mistakes, the 03 Larado 4.7 engine was installed into a 4x4 01 Durango SLT.
That's right the Larado didn't get the Updated 4.7 I'm O3 . 🙄.
The noise is from the upper end it appears to be towards the front.As I walk from the driver side to the passenger side of the vehicle while it's running but it's so dang loud I can't really pinpoint the noise.
Although it's probably from front cylinders. When all of a sudden done in the original motor and the secondary motor I put in I won't get into the details of those motors but the problem appears to be in those front cylinders either the bearings going first and then a then a rod pin which seems to be the case and it be sounding like the same in the third motor although I haven't taken it out of the vehicle yet having examined the other motors and finding the bad piston rods shaking them around it sounds like the same sound.
Obviously the same problems in those three motors are directly related to lack of maintenance therefore. And or oil pressure .p.s what if I stuffed more oil in it.lol

Old 06-12-2021, 06:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,335 Likes on 3,077 Posts

Can you post a vid with audio?

Quick Reply: 03 Larado 4.7 to O1 Durango SLT engine