1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Insane.. best way to approach ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 02:49 PM
jims
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insane.. best way to approach ?

I did my left ( drivers side) awhile back and I don't remember dealing with this.. I've been spraying them down the past few days and starting it up to run abit but some of these suckers look welded on and the rest don't seem to have a uniformed head size. .. seems like 9mm and other various sizes..I haven't cracked one loose yet because I'm feeling like I'm going to snap something... I'm all ears for the best way to approach these... especially from someone that had success with something similar..
02 Durango 4.7... Thanks

Right Manifold

I was thinking maybe a sawzall

Old 06-19-2021, 04:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,335 Likes on 3,077 Posts

Find a socket that *almost* fits, hammer it on. You ARE going to break some bolts, so, have new ones on hand as replacements.

Old 06-19-2021, 04:49 PM
jims
Rookie

Oh yeah ! Mix and match alright... working the easier ones now.. these stalactites are the top and bottom furthest rear.. I'll save them for last..I don't know if hitting them with heat would help any...or cutting the heads off flush to the manifold..we'll see how the rest come TY !

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Find a socket that *almost* fits, hammer it on. You ARE going to break some bolts, so, have new ones on hand as replacements.

Screwy !

Old 06-24-2021, 01:54 AM
jims
Rookie
Default A little bit of everything

Well thanks ! It took a bit of everything but it's down to manageable condition. One or two to extract worse case scenario..Some were jambed sockets, some 6point sockets, some with heat and the rest with the grinder...oh yeah..the sawzall was needed to get me some working room.. plus some drilling.
Some of these valve cover bolts are pretty worn so I'll get them while I'm here..I found the attachment point of a orphan ground strap so I get that while I'm here..I'm not sure about doing any of the sensors on this side while it's opened...the crank and the cam look wide open and easy to change..I was wondering if there's anything I should spray in the exhaust ports to clean them up a bit ? I could see some white on the valves though I'm not really concerned because I don't think I put 200 miles on it in the past 5 years.. just alot of sitting and start ups. But here's what I have..

Needed a little room to work 😉

The bottom one 3rd from the left is about most difficult one to get

I guess I should be driving it more?
See I still have a few threads to work with !

Reminds me I better plug these openings up as I seem to being quite a bit of Bees / Wasp activity the past few days.. the spiders are normal though they seem bigger and faster this year... have to watch everything I put my hands on it into
Well thanks again !!

Quick Reply: Insane.. best way to approach ?