1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

4.7 cooling system issues im having

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 01:20 AM
Tanerex
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4.7 cooling system issues im having

okay so to start off i just replaced my head gaskets and had the entire engine apart so there is all kinds of potential for air to be trapped in my cooling system and second my bleeder valve is stripped ( i am doing the martinbuilt solution to this in a week and making my own bleeder valve) but entil then i have tried bleeding it from the pressure cap on the upper hose right next to the bleeder valve, i turned it on, took the cap off, turned the heater on full blast and let it run for about an hour maybe slightly longer while i sat there and monitored it and topped it off now and then and the bubbles (big bubbles) seemed to just keep coming, infact there were like 10 instances where the coolant exploded out of it ( i assume was just a big bubble) and then would settle back down and i would add alittle more coolant and i was gentle about it to try and not add more air bubbles with sloppy pouring. any solutions or should i just wait until i make my new bleeder valve and use it?

also to note before my head gasket blew i had just the slightest bit of exhaust fumes leaking into my coolant but i drove it for like 3 months and it didnt effect it at all.

PS. its a 4.7

Last edited by Tanerex; 06-21-2021 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Left info out
Old 06-21-2021, 06:40 PM
Tanerex

Also to note if i haven't already, when i was driving it, once it got up to temp the pressure plunge on the cap broke and let steam and coolant out of the cap, maybe a bad cap or hose combo? I did replace the hose and cap 7 months ago before i replaced the head gaskets.

Old 06-22-2021, 09:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,335 Likes on 3,077 Posts

Do you still have a head gasket leak? Is the cooling system building pressure as soon as you start it?

The following users liked this post:
Tanerex (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 07:32 PM
Tanerex

Head gasket leak is gone, i got it to stop spewing coolant at temp but it does still get a bit over regular temp I'll get. Ack to you when i get it cooled off and i top the coolant off cause it seems like it has a lack of coolant rn

Old 06-26-2021, 04:46 PM
sporta
Veteran
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Have you tried having the nose of the vehicle elevated when trying to burp it? Example would be to park on an incline with the rear of the vehicle downhill...might help get the bubbles out. Had a Cherokee that the only way to get air out of the cooling system was to go nose down because the sealed reservoir was on the firewall.

Steve

Old 06-27-2021, 04:40 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 381 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by sporta
Have you tried having the nose of the vehicle elevated when trying to burp it?
Agreed.

I’ve never used my bleeder valve because it’s frozen solid and bends every tool I’ve tried to use. I leave the cap off and run with front end highly elevated when bleeding. Rear elevated when draining.

Keeping heater on hot does nothing for these trucks. They don’t have heater valves, so coolant is always circulating thru core.

If bleeder valve is stripped, is it not leaking or sucking air? Check fan clutch or radiator for blockage.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 06-27-2021 at 04:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sporta (06-27-2021)

Quick Reply: 4.7 cooling system issues im having