1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Fuel Delivery Mystery 03 Durango 5.2

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 04:52 PM
Nicholas Tremper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Delivery Mystery 03 Durango 4.7

So heres the whole low down of what I've been dealing with the last couple of days. My generator to my trailers throttle cable broke so while I was waiting for the part to come in I had just attached am inverter to my D and ran the necessities off that. Done it many times before, no problems there. Issue started because I managed to fall asleep with the D running and it ran out of gas, ever since then crank but no start. 😣 Sprayed some carb cleaner down the hatch and it turns all the way over, leading me to figure that maybe some crud at the bottom of the tank might have clogged up my injectors. So I did the little trick where I disconnected the fuel rail from the line, took a tube that fit snugly over the line where the rail usually connects and glued a carb cleaner straw and a washer to the other end of the tube so I could shoot the cleaner into the line and maintain pressure. Did that, kinda sounded like it cleared one or two injectors and ran more or less perfectly for the whole time it took to empty nearly the entire can (eventually my finger cramped from pushing on the spray cap, maybe 2-3 min.) Reconnected the rail to the line and checked the fuel pump relay, just in case, (swapped it out with the wiper relay that I knew was for sure good). Go to start her up and again crank no start, like she's still not getting any gas. The fuel pump is 100% for sure kicking on, I can hear it start up when the key is turned to on. So my best guess is that either the fuel filter is clogged? Or that the pump although turning on isn't actually moving the gas down the line? Haven't actually taken a pressure gauge to it yet but after kicking the pump on a couple of times and then unscrewing the fill cap I can for sure hear that it has built at least some pressure in the system. I really do not want to have to drop the god damn tank to even test/probably replace the pump. Does anyone know if I can get one of those aftermarket inline fuel pumps and just install that on the fuel line at the nearest accessible point to the tank and have that just move the fuel through the old pump? Or is that not even a possible way to go about this? I realize that If it turns out to be a clogged filter this won't solve the problem, but if that turns out to be the case and I end up having to drop the tank I'd rather only have to do that this one time and then in the future I'll be able to access my pump/filter that much easier. So lemme know if you've ever heard of someone using that kind of pump or whatever other pertinent experience/information that might help me out in any way. Side note: as I was looking at my fuse box I noticed that I can't find an ASD relay anywhere at all, there's gotta be one right? I'll attach pics of the inside covers of the engine compartment and the dash fuse boxes with the labels for everything on them.😕 Thanks in advance for any help/Info/advice ya got. I'll be sure to post the end result if this whole headache for future reference. (Hate finding threads discussing whatever I'm looking for that don't have any sort of conclusion to them!)

Last edited by Nicholas Tremper; 08-02-2021 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:14 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

It's not likely that you sucked up any crud running it dry because the pickup tube sits at the bottom of the tank.... so it doesn't matter if the tank is full or near empty, it's always sucking gas from the bottom anyway. The fuel pump is cooled by fuel, so more than likely it overheated the pump when it went empty. You can test fuel pressure by renting a tester from the auto parts store. It's free when you take it back. It hooks up to a schrader valve on the fuel rail under the hood.

I tested my fuel pressure back in Feb. Turned out to be bad fuel pump relay. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ml#post3505880

Old 08-03-2021, 02:25 AM
Nicholas Tremper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right on, i did not know that the pump used the fuel as coolant so that's a good bit of knowledge. I had already planned on going to rent the fuel pressure gauge tomorrow. Maybe this is stores but what is the difference between the pressure tester and just a typical true gauge? Is it's just a Schrader valve shouldn't that work just was well? Either way, when I check the pressure tomorrow I'll busy out the multimeter and check the voltage at the relay too. Theme with both those numbers in mind I'll see what's what. I have access to a buddies 00 R/T as a parts truck (it's already missing a bunch off stuff and just rotting be away in his yard) so if absolutely necessary I just might make myself a little access panel in the floorboard to switch out the pump with the line I can pull out of the other truck.

Also tell quick, having read through your old thread, ya never did get any sort of answer on what's up with the ASD huh?

Thanks and I'll keep ya appraised of where things go from here.

Quick Reply: Fuel Delivery Mystery 03 Durango 5.2