1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Super Backup Bulb or Aftermarket Cover ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 02:53 PM
jims
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Backup Bulb or Aftermarket Cover ?

Maybe I'm looking at this wrong but after a few LED attempts to brighten up my tail on my '02 D I've found myself obsessing about if there's a "Perfect" backup bulb that will blast through the semi translucent slit that Chrysler feels is sufficient to see while backing up in the Dark or worse.. Raining and Dark..
Could be my eyes as it seems that it's just become a issue as I've had the D 16 years now though I hadn't been driving it much the past 4+ years until recently..
The taillight cover slit makes the bulb length and chip placement critical to make sure it's filling all surface of translucent cover to beam out..
I think I went with projector for distance but it was to focused (and Long) to spread out and give a field of light..I think a short stubby with a 360° even chip displacement around the bulb might work better..
Anyone successfully figure this out and maybe have a recommendation of bulb type even ? It's only for backup and it's rare to be street parking at night so brightness is .. the brighter the better..
I might go for a aftermarket lens cover with clear lens over the backup light but they mostly don't seem to have a side view (cutout) but if they're bright enough maybe they don't need the wrap around clear lens ? Or am I totally wrong with my thinking ? That's why I'm here asking ! LMK if anyone has found the Answer... for under $100 is even better 🦉

Old 08-25-2021, 09:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,290 Likes on 3,037 Posts

A fair few folks have installed driving lights on the rear, and powered them via a relay that is controlled by the backup lamp circuit. (the stock circuit likely wouldn't tolerate that kind of load for very long.....)

The following users liked this post:
jims (08-29-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 08:21 AM
tshephard
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a similar note, I would make a lamp that mounted in the trailer hitch, power it from the trailer connector - middle pin.

Old 08-29-2021, 09:11 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by jims
Maybe I'm looking at this wrong but after a few LED attempts to brighten up my tail on my '02 D I've found myself obsessing about if there's a "Perfect" backup bulb that will blast through the semi translucent slit that Chrysler feels is sufficient to see while backing up in the Dark or worse.
I run these LEDs and get pretty good light back there...
Amazon Amazon
Now, I must say I don't think you'll get the type of light you're seeking with the stock tails. I replaced mine long ago with some LED units, so the light shines out thru clear plastic.

This old thread has better pics of the tails so you can see where the reverse bulbs go. I was installing them at the time and started out with the standard bulbs. It's a Dak, but I'm sure you can get em for the Rango.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...and-tails.html

Last edited by Dodgevity; 08-29-2021 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-29-2021, 12:16 PM
jims
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
I run these LEDs and get pretty good light back there... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Now, I must say I don't think you'll get the type of light you're seeking with the stock tails. I replaced mine long ago with some LED units, so the light shines out thru clear plastic.

This old thread has better pics of the tails so you can see where the reverse bulbs go. I was installing them at the time and started out with the standard bulbs. It's a Dak, but I'm sure you can get em for the Rango.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...and-tails.html
I think it's the translucent white on the taillight assembly that's containing the light from spreading out with the LEDs I've installed.... more like a beacon at night that makes the light be seen.. but not enough to project for "lighting up" the back area of the vehicle.. I've been considering this setup ACANII - For 1996-2000 Dodge Caravan Town & Country Voyager 98-03 Durango Black Tail Lights Brake Lamps Left+Right
Amazon Amazon
as the backup lens are clear though I'm not sure on the quality of material..
Your setup looks good.. Thanks

Old 08-29-2021, 12:54 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by jims
I think it's the translucent white on the taillight assembly that's containing the light from spreading out with the LEDs I've installed.... more like a beacon at night that makes the light be seen.. but not enough to project for "lighting up" the back area of the vehicle.. I've been considering this setup ACANII - For 1996-2000 Dodge Caravan Town & Country Voyager 98-03 Durango Black Tail Lights Brake Lamps Left+Right https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N8KMNPG...ing=UTF8&psc=1 as the backup lens are clear though I'm not sure on the quality of material..
Your setup looks good.. Thanks
Thanks. Those look like they should improve things. Make sure your bulbs are extra high lumens as those make a huge difference too. I put a few of them in my riding mower and it made a huge difference in visibility. If you do get those tails, make sure you seal up all the joints with clear silicon before installing. China quality, you know. Didn't know the Durango and Caravan/Town & Country shared tails. Learn something new every day.

The following users liked this post:
jims (08-30-2021)

Quick Reply: Super Backup Bulb or Aftermarket Cover ?