1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Electrical head scratcher. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2021, 04:33 PM
NW Redneck
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Electrical head scratcher. Any ideas?

Hey all. I have a 2001 RT (its even red like the pic at the top of the forum!) that's giving me fits. The front hvac blower stopped working. I tested the motor out of the truck & it works straight off a battery pack. I even had a second motor from a parts truck I have that again works off a battery but not when plugged into the D. I also tried swapping out the resistor with no change. (Everything works in the parts truck) I have 12v at the blower plug with the key on, and I have continuity to ground from the plug. Almost 0ohms on high and increasing resistance going through the lower speeds as expected going through the resistor. The resistor had been changed sometime before I got the truck so I went through all the connections for the new resistor plug & they're all good. So why it no worky?!?!?! I'm an HVAC tech by trade so quite familiar with electrical & meters but this has me stumped! Any tips, tricks or paranormal rituals out there? lol Thanks in advance!

Old 10-23-2021, 05:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,335 Likes on 3,077 Posts

Hook up your meter to the power feed. Ignition on, then provide the blower motor with another ground. From the motor to some metal part of the dash, or whatever is convenient. Does the motor run? Does the meter still say 12 volts? This will tell you which side of the circuit is the problem.

Old 10-23-2021, 08:15 PM
NW Redneck
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good idea, thanks! The Wife needed to truck asap so I just did a little redneckery and ran a wire from the fuse panel through a fuse & a switch I zip-tied to my brake controller for now. As soon as I have a chance I'll do those checks & let you know what I find.

Quick Reply: Electrical head scratcher. Any ideas?