1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Cold starts

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2021, 01:41 PM
LanceMac
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold starts

So my 2000 Durango every year around this time of year my truck does not like to stay running. Ill start it and let it run for 5 or 10 minutes and ill go to take off but as soon as I hit the brakes it wants tl die. No check engine light so Im stuck and dont have idea where to start to look to fix it, does or have anybody else had this problem?

Old 12-15-2021, 10:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

What engine?

Old 12-15-2021, 11:31 AM
LanceMac
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What engine?
4.7 I thought it could be a vacuum line but not sure

Old 12-16-2021, 04:09 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

TPS and or IAC valve.

Old 12-16-2021, 07:02 PM
sporta
Veteran
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
TPS and or IAC valve.
Following this one....the wife's 2001 Durango with the 4.7 is a cold hearted beastie in the mornings....as long as you keep on the throttle she runs fine. Usually takes about 10 minutes of either driving or warmup to keep it running...once warm, no issues. Could the IAC be needing a cleaning on this or would it be a TPS not showing a "true zero" at idle that is causing the issue (last time I checked with a scanner that would read TPS positioning, I think it read something like 12% throttle at idle with no foot on the gas) ???

Steve

Old 12-17-2021, 10:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Originally Posted by sporta
Following this one....the wife's 2001 Durango with the 4.7 is a cold hearted beastie in the mornings....as long as you keep on the throttle she runs fine. Usually takes about 10 minutes of either driving or warmup to keep it running...once warm, no issues. Could the IAC be needing a cleaning on this or would it be a TPS not showing a "true zero" at idle that is causing the issue (last time I checked with a scanner that would read TPS positioning, I think it read something like 12% throttle at idle with no foot on the gas) ???

Steve
More likely a dirty/weak IAC than TPS.

Old 12-17-2021, 03:51 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

The IAC clean costs almost nothing, so I'd start with that. If you see an improvement after cleaning, I'd still replace it.

Back when mine started cutting off, it did it while coming to a stop and it didn't matter if the truck was cold or not. Cleaning the IAC helped for a minute but I didn't see a marked difference until I replaced the TPS. The TPS replacement completely transformed the way the truck drove. Not only did it stay running, but the power delivery was smoothed out and the truck drove like a big Caddy. Prior to this, pressing gas was a herky-jerky affair but I wasn't really aware of how bad it was till I replaced it. Stick with mopar on these.

The following users liked this post:
sporta (12-17-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 08:07 PM
LanceMac
Amateur

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
The IAC clean costs almost nothing, so I'd start with that. If you see an improvement after cleaning, I'd still replace it.

Back when mine started cutting off, it did it while coming to a stop and it didn't matter if the truck was cold or not. Cleaning the IAC helped for a minute but I didn't see a marked difference until I replaced the TPS. The TPS replacement completely transformed the way the truck drove. Not only did it stay running, but the power delivery was smoothed out and the truck drove like a big Caddy. Prior to this, pressing gas was a herky-jerky affair but I wasn't really aware of how bad it was till I replaced it. Stick with mopar on these.
WI'll idk if it matters but I randomly get the 455 code for the EVAP leak could that have anything to do with it

Old 01-13-2022, 12:56 AM
Johnny Good
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, the evap code is not related. Sounds like the IAC valve. Two weeks ago my 2000 4.7 started dying at stop sign/light. It got worse as the days went by until the point where it would start and immediately die. I could give it gas to keep it running but did not drive it like that and let it set for a few days until finally got around to it yesterday. Replaced the TPS sensor and no change. Took off the IAC valve and started it. Engine roared to about 1800 RPMs but did not die. Shut it off right away. Inspected the valve and the plastic that hold the plunger was cracked in two places. Replaced the IAC and it's good to go.

The following users liked this post:
sporta (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 04:41 AM
LanceMac
Amateur

Originally Posted by Johnny Good
No, the evap code is not related. Sounds like the IAC valve. Two weeks ago my 2000 4.7 started dying at stop sign/light. It got worse as the days went by until the point where it would start and immediately die. I could give it gas to keep it running but did not drive it like that and let it set for a few days until finally got around to it yesterday. Replaced the TPS sensor and no change. Took off the IAC valve and started it. Engine roared to about 1800 RPMs but did not die. Shut it off right away. Inspected the valve and the plastic that hold the plunger was cracked in two places. Replaced the IAC and it's good to go.
I already replaced the IAC and TPS and it's still seems like it wants to die but it hasn't got as cold as was since I replaced them.

Quick Reply: Cold starts