2000 5.2 Hard to start

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2021, 04:19 PM
George Genovezos
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 5.2 Hard to start

Hi all,

I'm having an interesting problem with my durango. started yesterday. Sounds like it's cranking fast. Like faster than usual. but it won't start unless you give it a little gas. Yesterday it stalled the first 2 times, on the 3rd I gave it a little romp and she idled fine. this was after my wife left they key on and let it drain. today I put it on a charger and did the same thing but started after I gave it a little gas.

Any idea whats going on? no CEL

Old 12-31-2021, 04:59 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Idle problems are usually a weak battery or bad tps or map sensor. Given that the battery had just been let go dead I'd be suspect of that. Make sure it's taking a charge from the alternator and load testing where it should. Clean up all the connections with a wire brush to make sure there isn't any corrosion between the clamps and posts.

Old 12-31-2021, 05:17 PM
George Genovezos
Rookie

Thanks. I agree that a weak battery can cause idle problems.

I charged the battery and the idle problem has gone away, but its still cranking fast and and not starting unless I give it a little gas.

Old 12-31-2021, 05:40 PM
that_guy
Champion

All that opening the gas is doing is letting air in which the IAC normally does. You could make sure that passage is clean and that the plunger is, just don't work the plunger back and forth. And if you ever do replace it pay the extra for the Mopar sensor. Most after.arket sensors are junk these days.

Old 01-01-2022, 10:43 AM
George Genovezos
Rookie

Thanks.

For some reason it self corrected. I'll keep on eye on it.

Old 01-03-2022, 02:58 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 389 Likes on 366 Posts

You might want to check and see what the fuel pressure is getting up to at key on. Even with iac issues it should start right up then fall on it's face. Not starting without pedal sounds like low fuel pressure. Try just turning the key to on for a second then try it again, the third time try starting it without giving it gas. If it starts no problem it's probably low fuel pressure.

Old 01-04-2022, 10:54 PM
that_guy
Champion

Checking the fuel pressure ain't a bad idea either, but I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that sounding like the problem having to crack open the gas. If it did have low fuel pressure it'd be running lean when it didn't want to start. Opening the gas adding more air to it would make it more lean and even harder to start. In my experience needing to crack the pedal open some to get it to start is the computer failing to maintain proper idle air, whether because of the IAC going bad or low voltage (or something else) making the computer unable to command the IAC to go to the correct position.

Old 01-10-2022, 12:58 PM
lloydjv

Could be the crankshaft position sensor as well. Had to replace 2 on my 03 over the years. Never gives a CEL.

Old 01-13-2022, 01:22 AM
Johnny Good
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I posted something similar on another thread. Sounds like the IAC valve. Two weeks ago my 2000 Durango 4.7 (135k miles) started dying at stop sign/light. At first once or twice a day but it got worse as the days went by until the point where it would start and immediately die -almost like a true no start issue. I could give it gas to keep it running but did not drive it like that and let it set for a few days until finally got around to it yesterday. Replaced the TPS sensor and no change. Took off the IAC valve and started it. Engine roared to about 1800 RPMs but did not die. Shut it off right away. Inspected the valve and the round plastic that holds the plunger was cracked in two places. Replaced the IAC and it's good to go. It just seems the IAC valve does weird things when going bad and with no CEL. Cleaning helps but if it's starting to go out due to intermittent electric or mechanical issues it just need replacing. I just got lucky in that it went from kind of bad to really bad in a matter of days. However, i can see this part failing slowly and causing issues long term.

Quick Reply: 2000 5.2 Hard to start