1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Looking at Durango for a Family Rig - Looking for Inputs

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 09:47 PM
WeaponizedMemes
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It all happened so much sooner than I expected it would - but I ended up buying a Durango today! 2001 4.7 Magnum, 45RFE, AWD, fully loaded, 103k miles. It was the first Durango I've driven (I do own a Dakota, however) and it was the first car we actually looked at since deciding to upgrade to a larger car. But it was so clean and so nice and a good price I knew we wouldn't find something comparable for a long time, so we just got it!

Original window sticker included!!!

Might upload some pics to share. But I'll definitely be asking a few questions here in the near future.

Thanks for the insights everyone. I'll definitely be doing the 03 knuckle and brake swap in the future as well.

The following users liked this post:
sporta (02-02-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 09:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Change the oil. And keep up on oil changes. Best thing you can do for the 4.7. That, and coolant is next in line.

sporta (02-02-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 09:59 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by WeaponizedMemes
It all happened so much sooner than I expected it would - but I ended up buying a Durango today! 2001 4.7 Magnum, 45RFE, AWD, fully loaded, 103k miles. It was the first Durango I've driven (I do own a Dakota, however) and it was the first car we actually looked at since deciding to upgrade to a larger car. But it was so clean and so nice and a good price I knew we wouldn't find something comparable for a long time, so we just got it!

Might upload some pics to share. But I'll definitely be asking a few questions here in the near future.

Thanks for the insights everyone. I'll definitely be doing the 03 knuckle and brake swap in the future as well.

Just be sure to keep up on your oil changes. The one 4.7 I've owned hadn't been kept up properly and it lost oil pressure. After tearing the engine down, I found the oil pan sludged up and the oil pickup stopped up. To be fair, once I got it cleaned out, it had good pep and towed a small loaded trailer just fine. The only other problem I had with that truck (2002 Ram 1500) was the radio died on me an dI put an aftermarket in it.

Old 01-30-2022, 11:29 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by WeaponizedMemes

Sounds like a good buy. 103K over 21 years works out to be around 5K a year, so it sat quite a bit. I'd run a 5 minute motor flush through it and run full synthetic thereafter. I run 0W-20 Quaker State Full syn in my 4.7. It's now at almost 330K mi and has never been towed. I replaced the lifters back in 2020 and that was the first time the valve covers came off. All I do is make sure the oil, coolant and transmission fluid stays full. It's that basic.

You may also want to drop the transmission pan at some point and change out the 2 filters. Supertech ATF+4 from Wally World works fine. I put an aftermarket drain plug in the pan (they also sell pans with drain plugs) and do a single drain every 25K.

WeaponizedMemes (01-30-2022)

Quick Reply: Looking at Durango for a Family Rig - Looking for Inputs