1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Looking at Durango for a Family Rig - Looking for Inputs

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 08:26 PM
WeaponizedMemes
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking at Durango for a Family Rig - Looking for Inputs

Hi All,

tl;dr - Looking for advice. Is the 1st Gen Dodge Durango a good family car? Would you recommend one to someone looking for a family car?

More info:
My wife and I have two small kids and are hoping that the third is on the way soon. Our current family car is an Audi wagon that we enjoy quite a bit but are finding that it's gonna be too small to suit our needs soon. It's already pretty cramped with the whole family and the camping gear. So we're planning to 'upgrade' and have been tentatively thinking about an ~2015 Audi Q7 or Honda Pilot or something like that - something with three rows and a generally larger footprint. I had been planning to have to spend like $20k to get something like that, which I don't mind really.

But I just picked up a 2001 Dakota for myself and am really pleased so far - perfect mid size pickup and compared to the price of a used Tacoma it's a no-brainer for me. I have since been reminded of the Durango - which has three rows and would meet more of our needs. They are considerably cheaper than the Q7s and Pilots that I've been seeing - could easily get a Durango for less than $8k which I am super fine with I do not like the 2nd Gen Durango and the 3rd Gen is out of our price range in many cases, it seems - so the 1st Gen is the only one I'm considering atm.

So I wonder if anyone here has good insight on what to expect with a 1st Gen Durango and if it would make a good family car? What can I expect? Any inputs would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 01-24-2022, 09:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Experiences are all over the map on that one. Some will recommend the 4.7 V-8, others will tell you to avoid it like the plague..... But, several members here have well over 150K on their 4.7's with no major repairs.

Personally, given the choice between the 5.9, or 4.7, I think I would actually go with the 4.7. Similar power, better economy.... Avoid the V-6. I don't think it's an adequate motor for the weight of the vehicle. Especially for a growing family. (congrats, by the way. )

Like any used car, if you can find a nice, LOW MILEAGE unit, might be worth spending a bit more on it. I know used car prices are almost as stupid as buying a house, or a video card..... at this point in time..... So, expect 'em to not be cheap.

Old 01-25-2022, 08:05 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
But, several members here have well over 150K on their 4.7's with no major repairs.
Over 150K? Are they even driving the thing?

Old 01-25-2022, 08:54 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Sakes, the GF just bought a new(er) car. Her old one is a 2015 Equinox she bought 4 years ago with 13K on the clock. It now has 187K and still runs good but with the miles she puts on, we don't want her stranded.

On the Durango, it's mechanically very similar to the Dakota. I'm not a specialized Chrysler mechanic, more generalized. I prefer the first generation Magnum engines as they are a simpler design. Those are the 3.9, 5.2 and 5.9 engines. I've had a 4.7 and it was a decent engine but just seemed overly complex.

Old 01-25-2022, 03:40 PM
WeaponizedMemes

I guess I also wonder about it more generally.

You folks with a 1st Gen Durango: if your friend or colleague said, "I'm just looking for an good, affordable, daily driver that can fit the whole family comfortably. Nothing crazy. Something that the wife won't mind driving around town." Would you recommend that they try the Durango, based on your experience?

Old 01-27-2022, 07:15 PM
sporta
Veteran
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by WeaponizedMemes
I guess I also wonder about it more generally.

You folks with a 1st Gen Durango: if your friend or colleague said, "I'm just looking for an good, affordable, daily driver that can fit the whole family comfortably. Nothing crazy. Something that the wife won't mind driving around town." Would you recommend that they try the Durango, based on your experience?
My wife absolutely LOVES her 2001 Durango with the 4.7L engine (and the heated seats). We are getting close to 300k on it and yes, there have been major (not insurmountable) repairs on it...but 99% of them have been doable with help from this board. The '01 was the first Durango we picked up, then my $450 Craigslist find 2000 Durango (salvage title but mostly all together) and it's approaching 280k miles with similar issues to the 2001....in the family we have a '99 Durango and a 2000 Durango with the 5.9L engine. So yes I would not hesitate to recommend the 1st generation Durango's with the following caviot, stick with Durangos model year 2000 and up. There are subtle changes between the '98-'99 models that are just enough off when compared with the 2000-2003 models.

Best of luck

Steve

Old 01-28-2022, 04:21 PM
WeaponizedMemes

Originally Posted by sporta
My wife absolutely LOVES her 2001 Durango with the 4.7L engine (and the heated seats). We are getting close to 300k on it and yes, there have been major (not insurmountable) repairs on it...but 99% of them have been doable with help from this board. The '01 was the first Durango we picked up, then my $450 Craigslist find 2000 Durango (salvage title but mostly all together) and it's approaching 280k miles with similar issues to the 2001....in the family we have a '99 Durango and a 2000 Durango with the 5.9L engine. So yes I would not hesitate to recommend the 1st generation Durango's with the following caviot, stick with Durangos model year 2000 and up. There are subtle changes between the '98-'99 models that are just enough off when compared with the 2000-2003 models.

Best of luck

Steve
Thanks for the info. We're gonna go check out a 2001 4.7L Durango tomorrow.

Old 01-28-2022, 05:08 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Brakes are a weakness for the earlier years. Not sure how it goes for Durangos but the 2003 and up Dakotas have beefed up brakes. Fronts have 2 pistons vs 1 for earlier years and discs in rear vs drums. I've heard it's a dramatic difference. Something u may want to consider.

Old 01-29-2022, 06:17 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I can't speak to the 4.7 but the magnums like the small blocks they're based on just go forever. They're not the most powerful or efficient but keep up on the maintenance and they'll keep on going. My 99 Durango 5.2 has been in the family since it was nearly new and in that time it's needed work here and there, but the only time I can recall it ever needing a tow was when a freeze plug rusted out maybe 10 years ago. It's sitting at around 210k miles now and even at this age it still is the one vehicle in the family that I can depend on working.

The 03 Durango did get bigger front brakes and disc brakes in the back too (Durango rear discs are bigger than Dakota rear discs too). You can swap knuckles from and 03 onto an older Durango and get the bigger brakes for fairly cheap if you're not afraid to turn some wrenches.

If you can find yourself one with full time 4wd as well. The later years with the electronic **** would have an AWD position I think if they had the 244 transfer case I believe. I don't know why they stopped offering full time 4wd in trucks anymore, it's one of the nicest things to have on the road in bad weather and not have to worry about shifting into and out of 4 lock.

Old 01-29-2022, 08:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Originally Posted by that_guy
I can't speak to the 4.7 but the magnums like the small blocks they're based on just go forever. They're not the most powerful or efficient but keep up on the maintenance and they'll keep on going. My 99 Durango 5.2 has been in the family since it was nearly new and in that time it's needed work here and there, but the only time I can recall it ever needing a tow was when a freeze plug rusted out maybe 10 years ago. It's sitting at around 210k miles now and even at this age it still is the one vehicle in the family that I can depend on working.

The 03 Durango did get bigger front brakes and disc brakes in the back too (Durango rear discs are bigger than Dakota rear discs too). You can swap knuckles from and 03 onto an older Durango and get the bigger brakes for fairly cheap if you're not afraid to turn some wrenches.

If you can find yourself one with full time 4wd as well. The later years with the electronic **** would have an AWD position I think if they had the 244 transfer case I believe. I don't know why they stopped offering full time 4wd in trucks anymore, it's one of the nicest things to have on the road in bad weather and not have to worry about shifting into and out of 4 lock.
Yep. This. I wholeheartedly concur. I even seriously considered swapping out my 241 t-case, for a 242, to have the option of full-time 4wd.

Quick Reply: Looking at Durango for a Family Rig - Looking for Inputs