1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

02 Durango Won't Run

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2022, 11:14 PM
akita02
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Durango Won't Run

Hello folks. I'm hoping to get some help on why my Durango won't start. It's a 2002 4.7L, 4wd, SLT with about 228,000 miles on it. Several months ago, I went to back out of the driveway and it stalled after moving about 5 feet. There were no backfires or other odd behavior. It just died like I turned off the key. It's getting fuel, but no spark. If I let it sit for a couple of weeks, it will start and run for 1-2 seconds and then dies. Then if I try to immediately restart it, it will not fire at all. If I let it sit for another couple of weeks, it will then start and run for 1-2 seconds and die again. And, again, it will not fire after that. I can repeat this process every couple of weeks. One week is not long enough.
  1. There are no trouble codes confirmed or pending.
  2. There is no chip in the ignition key.
  3. Head gaskets and complete timing chain & gear set replaced about 30,000 miles ago.
  4. No odd symptoms like backfiring thru intake or exhaust when cranking or anything like that.
  5. I have checked the grounds between engine, frame and body.
  6. I have replaced the crank sensor.
  7. I have disconnected the battery for a "hard reset".
  8. I have tried multiple methods of "resetting the security".
I feel like it's some kind of system shut down. I've always thought it had a anti-theft system but now I'm not sure it actually has the anti-theft system since I don't see a security icon on the dash. Any thoughts?

Old 06-19-2022, 09:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,189 Likes on 2,942 Posts

Is there an aftermarket security system?

If you aren't getting spark, that is usually the crank sensor. What brand replacement did you install?

Old 06-19-2022, 12:56 PM
akita02

There's no aftermarket security system on it. The crank sensor was from Car Quest. Their Car Quest Premium brand. It was all they had in stock. I was connected to the OBD and was getting RPM readings during cranking with both the old and new sensors, if that means anything.

Old 06-19-2022, 04:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Then the old sensor may not have been bad....

Is there no spark an ANY cylinder? Should be able to test if the pcm is trying to fire the coil with a noid light.

Old 06-19-2022, 04:37 PM
akita02

I don't have a noid light, but I don't think there is any spark at any cylinder. I'm a good backyard mechanic on older mechanical engines, have done complete rebuilds, etc.. But don't have a lot of experience or tools for computer operated engines. When I first try to start it, it fires right up. But once it has done its initial "start and die" I get no fire or no "hit" on any cylinder at all. I know this is primitive, but if I give it a quick shot of ether, I get no reaction whatsoever. I know it's getting fuel, I can smell it.

I should add that I did used to occasionally get a random misfire code for #3. To experiment I swapped the coils between #1 and #3 to see if the code stayed with the cylinder or followed the coil. After swapping, I never got the misfire code again. So I kind of forgot about it. But that was many months and many miles before this "new" problem started.

Last edited by akita02; 06-19-2022 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Want to add more detail.
Old 06-19-2022, 10:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Should be able to rent a noid light from your local parts store. Since you aren't getting fire on ANY cylinder after the initial burst.... I begin to suspect the PCM.... but, I don't know how many different drivers there are in there for the individual coils. Are there 4, are there 8? Something else??? I don't have a service manual to clue me in there. But, if it's shutting down ALL the cylinders, and leaving fuel on..... I would still lean heavily toward the PCM.

Quick Reply: 02 Durango Won't Run