1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2000 Durango 46RE tranny late shift when cold.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2024, 10:22 AM
James Vining
Rookie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2000 Durango 46RE tranny late shift when cold.

So when we first started driving this was early Nov 2023 to my fathers funeral (as I was slowly doing minor TLC things since we had 2 vehicles This was given to me by my neighbors), then the other car started knocking (Basically died) so it has been cold and I always started it to defrost the windows and warm it up a little kinda noticed one time it took a bit to shift to second, last night we went to the store and just got in started it let it run like 2 min or so and it acted like it did not want to shift but finally did at like 2300 or so just seemed way late to me, then 2-3 seemed fairly normal
(I have never actually counted so with the O/D off does it only shift 1-2-3 or is it 1-2-3-4 and then O/D?)
Anyway on way home it was normal everything felt fine any Idea what could maybe cause this when cold?
It has been raining a lot so I have not dropped tranny pan and replaced filer and adjusted bands yet so wanted to know if it could possibly be something I should look to replace when I have pan removed ( I asked once about pressure solenoids and governors I seen in a transmission filter kit.)
Just was curious and you guys are the best ones to ask as I see all sorts of horrific advice in internet search's that I know are 100% wrong.
This is my first Dodge tranny with al this electronic stuff inside I'm used to the TF 727 or TF 904's

Old 04-14-2024, 10:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,189 Likes on 2,942 Posts

My truck exhibits some odd behavior now and again as well. Some days, it will shift just fine, other days, it will hold gears longer than I would like, or 'hunt' between 2 and 3 before it finally decides what gear it wants to be in. I changed all the electronics, and, it reduced the problem, but, did not eliminate it. I have been unable to determine if I still have a flaky sensor somewhere else on the truck, or if this is just a programming issue.... It's sometimes annoying, but, not annoying enough to spend money having someone else try and figure it out. (and try and sell me a rebuild, that won't fix it.)

With O/D off, you will have 1-2-3-TCC, You just don't get the big drop when it shifts into O/D.

Old 04-19-2024, 05:37 AM
James Vining
Rookie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok thank you on the info, ill just keep and eye on it and plan to just change fluid, filter, adjust bands and see if that helps.
On the tranny note I seen some strange suggestions on how to remove more fluid from the tranny ( I think it could harm tranny but wanted your opinion.
so what I see was someone disconnecting the line to the Rad/Optional cooler the pressure line from tranny ( I assume the return line is only returning due to the pressure from the send line No suction on it )
starting engine with a hose to a drain pan from this line and when it started slowing flow or sign of air shut off engine, add a gallon of fluid repeat process add one more gallon repeat and during the third fluid should come out with no sign of older fluid in system
Of course if I were doing this the first 4 would be dumped out with the filter change and band adjustment.
Now to me even in neutral isn't that risking damage as it would run the pump dry when it was down to slower flow or air bubbles
I was just Now thinking if I took say a gallon jug of ATF+4 or say 2 gallons Used one of my old pressure container or heck even used a Old 5 Gallon HD jug I could use the same concept I did when refilling the rear diff and instead of squeezing a 1 gallon jug I could pressurize the 5 gallon one to say 10 PSI connected to return line so as old fluid was pumping out of cooler line new fluid would be flowing in through return line?

Or am I just asking for something to go wrong and destroy a tranny?

Old 04-19-2024, 09:14 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,189 Likes on 2,942 Posts

Just drop the pan, and let it drain for a while. Running the trans low on fluid PURPOSELY really doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Quick Reply: 2000 Durango 46RE tranny late shift when cold.