1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

CV Joint or Wheel Bearing Noise????

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 05:48 PM
pradesj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Joint or Wheel Bearing Noise????

Hello all, I've got the front end noise curse as well. The noise seems like a rubbing/grinding while turning(not clicking..)
increases when turning to the left. Seems like the noise in Front Right area of Truck (98 Durango). So.. Would you guys think Wheel Bearing assembly or CV Joint/Axle? I've also got a slight shimmy around 70mph with hum. Any thoughts would be appreciated.....
Brakes and Rotors are new, Tires new and rebalanced......

Old 02-15-2006, 06:05 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: CV Joint or Wheel Bearing Noise????

You may need to replace your upper and/or lower ball joints. This has been a very common problems on 1st generation Durangos. Read the recall posted on the top of the 1st generation durango page. This recall only affects 2000-2003 tho. Don't know why the 98-99's aren't in the list.

Old 02-18-2006, 11:51 PM
jammin

Pradesj, have you been driving my D? I have the same issue this week with my 99..grinding noise emminating from front right wheel when turning slightly left or sharply then subsiding some when driving in a straight line. don't think this is related to ball joints,ball joints will cause a rattle as they are not in motion, a grinding symtom would indicate a part in motion, ie. bearing or CV joint (rotor/pad replacement time?).. I am going to replace my hub due to the fact that I have some play in the wheel when jacked and I wiggle the tire from the 12 -6 oclock position, drivers's side is solid when done in the same manner.

anyone else change a hub recently? what did you hear before you changed?

Old 02-19-2006, 09:44 PM
pradesj

The end of my front end noise/grinding story (for now)

Well, took the Durango to the shop they quoted me $800 for Bearing/Hub assy, tierods and an allignment. NOPE! I then went to shucks were the part was $160(quoted$290 by mechanic, just for part) and decided to put it in myself. Relatively easy install except for the spindle nut (broke one 1/2" racket and one 1/2 Breaker bar before I went down to the local tire place to have them air it off). Sure enough the grind/noise was still there after hub install..... Had a couple to beers and thought out the problem..... (the beer helped!) I looked at the wheel assy and noticed that the axle was really binding on the outer brake pad(very tight pad spring) I loosened the pad spring and BINGO. the axle spun much better and the sounds went away. What an ordeal....

Long story short... check your pads, rotors, and calipers to make sure the wheel spins with little resistance....

Old 07-24-2006, 07:37 PM
joewilliams1969

Mine had something similar. It was the CV joint on the front axel. The dealer did not offer a replacements CV so I had to buy the whole axel with CV joint included. $450 - Ouch

Old 04-21-2007, 10:27 AM
moparnopar

I'm curious ... mine is making noise ... after having change Pads on the front breaks ... I will need to look .... sounds like a grinding sound like the rubbers are touching the inner fennder well or something .... anyone experience that ? [>:]

Old 04-21-2007, 10:28 AM
moparnopar

i cannot spell .. top early in the morning here .. BRAKES ... "L"

Old 04-21-2007, 10:29 AM
moparnopar

TO EARLY ... better stop while i'm ahead !

Old 05-05-2007, 01:56 PM
BADurang87

I have experienced that moparnopar I just actually changed four new ***** joints, rotors and pads the whole deal, but I am still hearing some noises from the front end as well I dunno if its the wheel bearing or CV joints but imma take into the shop and see what they say.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:37 PM
moparnopar

Actually my noise ended up being the front calipers and brake asssembly. What happened to mine exactly was the following. the pads sit in or on the caliper. The caliper gets bolted down to the knuckle. Now, my problems were from where the pads touch the knuckle. The lower portion of the knuckle were worn out ... little indent - hence the caliper would move more than normal .... The new pads I bought came with these spacers ranging from .005 , .010 . 015 .020 and .025 of an inch ... I took the .025 inchers and slapped them under the pads and the knuckle ... no more noise ! The spacer keeps the caliper from moving .... they are made especially to make up the difference in wear and tear on the knuckle.

Look and see if your caliper assembly moves alot .... oh yeah almost forgot ... the reason I knew it had something to do with the front brakes, rotors pas etc .. is because I was testing out the durango for that noise and while doing Donuts in the local parking area lot .. I slightly applied the brakes and the noise stopped ... truck was still turning ... I suppose that with the light pressure in the system, the caliper would sit back in it's place .... try it .. u never know .

good luck
MoparNopar.

Quick Reply: CV Joint or Wheel Bearing Noise????