1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

1998 Durango Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 12:10 AM
rlueras
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Durango Stalling

I HAVE A 1998 DURANGO AND RECENTLY IT STARTS STALLING EVERYNOW AND THEN. IT STALLS AND I WILL COAST TO THE SIDE OF THE ROAD AND IT USUALLY WILL FIRE RIGHT BACK UP AND SOMETIMES I HAVE TO WAIT 5 OR 10 MINUTES THEN IT FIRES NO PROBLEM. IT SEEMS TO HAVE FUEL PRESSURE, WHEN IT IS STALLED I PUSH THE RELEASE ON THE FUEL RAIL AND IT SPRAYS FUEL EVERYWHERE. NORMALLY THE OIL PRESSURE STAYS AT 70 BUT RECENTLY AFTER YOU DRIVE IT A WHILE IT STARTS DROPPING TO 40 AT IDLE I DON;T THINK THAT MEANS MUCH BUT I THOUGHT I WOULD THROW IT OUT THERE. PLEASE NEED HELP BEFORE I START REPLACING PARTS. THANK YOU

Old 04-11-2006, 12:58 AM
Dakota_24
Default RE: 1998 Durango Stalling

Try just giving it tune up, change the plugs, wires, O2 sensors, pcv valve, and map sensor. Or better yet just take it to your local Tuffys, Napa, or Dodge dealer and have it put on the computer.

Old 04-12-2006, 06:20 PM
rlueras

I took it to my local dodge dealership and they hooked it to the computer and it gave them a code for ignition coil primary circuit. They told me there was nothing they could except start changing parts. They said they couldn't say what it was unless it occured while they were driving it. And of course it wouldn't do it while they drove it. Has anyone had this problem before and what should i start with the coil or pcn?

Old 04-12-2006, 10:42 PM
Dakota_24

I hate when they say that crap! I'd just have them do something; say fix what you think it is, and screw waiting til it happens; because then you'll you could be stranded.

Old 05-06-2006, 01:35 AM
rlueras

i have replaced the coil the tcp, the throttle control piston. plugs , cap and rotor and stills stalls. it stalled going down the highway the other day and i floored it and a couple of seconds it fired up and took off. so i think it is the fuel pump. i am in need of feedback. thank you

Old 05-06-2006, 02:36 PM
rlueras

i have replaced the fuel pump and still stalls. i am begining to think i should have bought a ford. any help please

Old 05-07-2006, 07:01 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You might have something in the fuel rails or the line to it. Take off the fuel line and blow it out with some fuel, Just turn the key to start and take off the coil wire. Then clean out the fuel rails and clean the injectors with intake cleaner. Also check for an inline filter that maybe a previous owner put one in.

Old 05-08-2006, 01:23 AM
1 bad durango
Professional

just wondering do you have an alarm system on the truck if you do check the wiring if it has a starter kill system ,if no alarm make sure you plug wire are not touching metal,primarly your coil wire hope it helps

Old 05-28-2006, 03:16 AM
dirtycook23

i am having that problem too. i dont know what to do either so if you get any info that may fix the problem let me know. it is very frustrating. my uncle told me that there may be a vaccume leak somewhere. he told me to try the following. take a propane bottle(a little one) and take the torch attachment (but take the tip off) and run the torch with the valve cracked open (no flames) along the vacume lines and if the engine picks up when at idle then to fix the leak and maybe that is the problem. i havent had a chance to try it but he is a certified diesel mechanic. beats me. i hope this helps. let me know if you find anythig that works.

Old 06-05-2006, 01:36 AM
kj13666

im about to buy a 1999 slt plus and its having the same problems, he put alot of aftermarket parts on it and had to replace all the sensors and replaced the fuel rails and put in a new fuel pump and it still stalls when your driving it. mostly when its hot out and you at a stop sign, it revs up like it has a cam and then once you get on it, it will quite back up. he claims its the header becuase it has a leak but idk what it is. from what you guys are saying it can be alot of stuff. if anyone knows what it could be let me know thanks

Quick Reply: 1998 Durango Stalling