1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

suspension lifts

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 05:08 PM
redpepper99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension lifts

Who has the best lift out there? What would be the best lift height for a durango so it's not to tipsy? I already have a 3" body lift and it feels a little top heavy. Maybe I should go with wider tires, the only problem with that is I get a tire rub on hard turns with the right front wheel on my chassis. Has anyone heard of converting the front suspension to a coil spring and shocks? Would the dakota front suspension fit on a durango?
thanks for any replies

Old 06-28-2004, 06:43 PM
Saint
Veteran
Default RE: suspension lifts

I'm gonna need more info, what year, 4wd or 2wd that stuff is important.

Old 06-29-2004, 03:41 AM
redpepper99

i have a 99 4wd

Old 06-29-2004, 04:14 AM
Saint
Veteran

From what I understand the Dakota suspension is the exact same thing as the Durango's. Coils won't work without a Solid-axle, because the half-shafts will get in the way, the A-Arms aren't big enough to offset the coils like a HMMWV, and still get a halfshaft to go through.

There are a couple of different lift options. 1.) Rancho makes a 3-inch lift-kit, probably the most durable on the market, and Rancho has a great reputation. 2.) Tuff Country has a 5.5" lift, but I have heard horror stories about the front suspension failing with those kits during heavy 4-wheeling. and 3.) Truckin Suspensions makes a 4.5", 6.5" and 9.5" suspension lift, but I have also heard that they are very weak and won't stand up to serious 4-wheeling.

Me personally, I'm going with the Rancho 3" Suspension Lift because it is the only one that I feel will be able to handle the off-roading that I will be doing, and I won't need much more lift than that for the trails that I woll be going on.

Any SUV is going to be very top-heavy when you lift it, just because there is so much weight up high to begin with, you just have to adjust your driving habits accordingly

Old 06-29-2004, 04:36 AM
redpepper99

thanks for the advice and info. I guess rancho has a monopoly on the durango scene.
If you go with the rancho would you go with new leaf springs or keep your old ones?

Old 06-29-2004, 06:12 AM
chrisandclauida2
Rookie

u should get new springs for the front. i think it is illegal in all 50 states to us lift blocks on the front springs. they r ok on the back. every kit i ever got had new leaf springs for the front

Old 06-29-2004, 04:55 PM
Saint
Veteran

ORIGINAL: chrisandclauida2

u should get new springs for the front. i think it is illegal in all 50 states to us lift blocks on the front springs. they r ok on the back. every kit i ever got had new leaf springs for the front
WTF are you talking about. The 4wd Durango has a Torsion Bar Independent Front Suspension like most modern 4x4s, you don't get new springs with the kit, they just use a drop bracket to keep the correct Stock Geometry. And even if it did have Coil Springs you don't use a block instead of new springs, you would use a spacer, and I've seen Coil-Spring Spacers up to a 3" lift.

As far as the rear suspension, you'll get shackles, you can't use a lift block on a Durango because it's a Spring Under Axle design, so putting a block between the spring and axle will actually lower the truck. Tuff Country does give you the option of an Axle Flip Kit, or new springs.

Old 06-30-2004, 11:49 PM
redpepper99

Saint,
maybe he's thinking it's a 2wd cause they use coil springs right? Maybe that's just for the dakota.
Well I am thinking of going with rancho too cause I think they have a better reputation.
thanks for the input.

Old 07-01-2004, 03:36 AM
Saint
Veteran

I understand that, but even so you only use blocks with Leaf Springs, you cant use them with Coil Springs

Old 07-23-2004, 11:27 PM
00durang00

ifs is a bitch to lift. so plan on spending lots of money. as far as the rear goes an soa conversion would be your best bet. the problem with shackle lifts is a shackle lift on stock springs will cause axle wrap and possible slipped leaves

Quick Reply: suspension lifts