What do I need to do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 01:02 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: What do I need to do?

ORIGINAL: Mean Green

I would rather have a 180 anyway because in the summer when I had to run my a/c my D was going up to like 230ish. I need to get a better fan and maybe a bigger radiator before next summer too.
Meen Green,

I have only one thing to say if your D ever gets beyond 210 degrees. BABY her!! Else you be looking for a new engine soon. The computer will put your engine in limp mode, basically preventing the engine from performing any hard acceleration and what not. This is a safety feature that the PCM is trying to prevent the engine from working harder and get even hotter. I am sure you problaby notice your D isn't performing so well especially at the 230 mark. But if you still drive it hard at that temperature, get ready to replace head gaskets to possible engine rebuild.

You may want to check your fan clutch. When my D started to climb in temperature, it is because my clutch was on its way to the grave yard. Now with the new maxi cool fan clutch, my temp never goes beyond 200 degrees even in the 106 heat and with A/C running. But my fan does roar alot under the exteme heat, but I'll compromise the noise to ensure my engine will stay running cool.

Old 08-31-2006, 07:22 PM
89Daytona
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kensai

ORIGINAL: 89Daytona

When I put the 180 degree t-stat in my 98 with a 5.2L I got about 1mpg less than I did before I changed it. It went from ~15mpg to ~14mpg..... I don't know if that is a common thing though.
You may need to reprogram your PCM to make adjustments to the new temp. When you change the temp, you affect emissions which will affect your MPG. Hopefully your ride will still pass inspection.
After about 5 months of it being in I took it out and put the stock temp one back in. It didn't throw any "check engine" codes, so it wouldn't have had a problem with inspection (they don't actually test the exhaust for emissions where I live in NY).

Old 08-31-2006, 07:41 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I'm mad now... I just got off the phone with uhaul and even though their website says I can tow my wifes very short xA with a towing dolly as long as I take care when I load and unload it they won't make a reservation. They told me I'd have to rent the full trailer and that is a ridiculous $908! I could have the damn thing loaded onto a semi for that price then I wouldn't even have to think about it! I guess I'm gonna fill it up with stuff and drive out only to fly back to NY so I can drive the truck out. [:'(] I'm not looking forward to driving that thing it's not comfortable like my truck and there isn't even CC so I'm gonna scream... I finally remembered to look in my glove box I have a 3.55 gear ratio what's the most I could tow with that anyway? I HATE MOVING!!! I guess it'll be a lot easier on my D so w/e... [:@]
I'm not gonna worry about the fan clutch even though that sounds like what it is at this moment maybe in a month or 2 I have a slow leak in my power steering pump. I looked in there last night and was at the halfway mark and I just filled it a month ago. At least it is a very slow leak though... If that power steering fluid leaked out onto the engine or an exhaust pipe would the smoke be white? That might have been why my D was smoking at random on the highway a while back...
I noticed when it was getting hot that it was running a lot more sluggish and I figured that it was in a limp mode I had the same thing happen when a sensor in my tranny was bugging out and telling the pcm that my tranny fluid was overheating I took it real easy. Was that fan clutch an oem upgrade or did you get it at a parts store?

Old 09-03-2006, 02:29 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

U-Haul is giving you crap. Have you tried someone else? Also why not have your wife follow you in her car?

Also remember that the trailer weighs about 1500 lbs. So you will have to add that to your cars weight. I'm thinking that you might be over weight for towing. If you do it I would get another trany cooler in line. You would be realy pushing it and would have to take it slow. Those 3.55's are realy going to kill your cash in fuel if you tow!

Old 09-03-2006, 10:19 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I'm not even gonna bother with any of my other options their car dolly is 500 lbs the full trailer is 1000 lbs. To put it bluntly if my wife tried to drive out there we would either get there in 2 weeks or have an accident, she is not a driver at all (highway hypnosis after more than half an hour on the freeway)... I already went that direction and all it gave me was a headache. Also all of the other companies that have trailers require you to rent one of their trucks to pull it and I don't need all of that. I'm just going to drive my D out and then fly back and drive the xA out. My wife can drive as long as I'm there to keep her company but i'll end up doing all the driving propably just for the fact that I can go for 12+ hours without a problem. I just wish we had CC in that Scion.