1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

TIRES RUBBING

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 03:32 PM
ONEENVY
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TIRES RUBBING

My front tires rub when I do hard turns. I have a 2in body lift. The tires are 33in 12.5w widcat a/t. Half the plastic wheel well has already been cut off to stop it from rubbing. Should I just take them off? The driver side is cut 2-3in higher than the passenger side is and the passenger side is doing most the rubbing. Maybe I should even the passenger sideout? Would a suspension lift help stop the rubbing?

Old 08-31-2006, 04:00 PM
ONEENVY
Default RE: TIRES RUBBING

Oh also I dont think they resent my speedo when they did the lift and bigger tires (I think this cause i was doing 60mph and passsing everyone, gave a call to my friend driving behind me and he said I was doing 70mph. He paced me and I was about 8mph faster than what the speedo read). Is this something I can do or should les schwab or someplace like that do it?

Old 08-31-2006, 05:44 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will have to take it to a specialty shop that can reprogram the PCM to compensate for your tires. Or you can buy yourself a hypertech programmer and it can calibrate your speedo as well as retune your PCM for more power.

http://www.hypertech.com

Just went to visit that site and seems that Hypertech has rebuilt their programmer now called Hyperpac! Now with touchscreen controls and tons of new features. Pretty cool and I bet it is pretty expensive. At least much more expensive than their previous Hypertech III programmer.

I would love to have one of those.

Old 08-31-2006, 05:48 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You may want to change out the rims for a set of rims that can position your tires outward a little more so it won't rub the inside fender well?

Old 08-31-2006, 07:48 PM
JasonGS

1st issue: for the rubbing tires, most don't go with that size of a tire without a bigger lift than just the T/S. You will have to trim the wheel well liner, and possibly the front bumper. Also, the tires being that wide are probably also rubbing the frame. Like Kensai said, an easy solution is to get wheels with a smaller backspacing.

2nd issue: depends on what engine you have. If you have a 4.7, then you cannot get the Hypertech. However, you can get a SuperChips programmer to change the tire size in your computer. That will fix the speedo.

Old 09-03-2006, 02:33 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: JasonGS

1st issue: for the rubbing tires, most don't go with that size of a tire without a bigger lift than just the T/S. You will have to trim the wheel well liner, and possibly the front bumper. Also, the tires being that wide are probably also rubbing the frame. Like Kensai said, an easy solution is to get wheels with a smaller backspacing.

2nd issue: depends on what engine you have. If you have a 4.7, then you cannot get the Hypertech. However, you can get a SuperChips programmer to change the tire size in your computer. That will fix the speedo.
Agreed

Quick Reply: TIRES RUBBING