1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Used PCM for 99 Durango

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 04:44 PM
msamsonz28
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used PCM for 99 Durango

My 1999 Durango stalls on hot days. Starts back up after 5-30 minutes. After reading numerous posts, it sounds like a bad PCM to me. I went to Autozone and they tried to get me a new one through two different places but both said they couldn't rebuild or replace my PCM. If I get a used PCM can I simply swap out my old one? Or will I have to get it flashed by the dealer? I know it will cost at least $600 to replace at the dealer and this used PCM is only $200.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:28 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Used PCM for 99 Durango

I am almost 100% it would need to be reflashed.

Old 09-06-2006, 12:43 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes it will need to be reflashed with your VIN# and milage by the dealer.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:15 AM
JasonGS

But if you have a way to get it there with a used PCM, try finding one at www.car-part.com first. They sometimes have VERY cheap PCMs out there (I got one for my Regal for $20!).

Old 09-07-2006, 06:29 PM
msamsonz28

Actually the cheapest one I could find on car-part.com was $200. So considering that price plus whatever the dealership charges for flashing (no idea how much it is), I am just going to order a remanufactured part from ecudirect.com. At $385 I get a tested computer with a warranty and I won't have to worry about problems with a used one. Thanks for your replies!

Old 09-08-2006, 10:56 PM
lysann

I'm having the same problem with mine, and I've finally narrowed it down to the PCM is getting hot, the metal cover plate expands (not sure if something inside is expanding) and the connections for the three plugs to the PCM get pushed until they make a bad connection. If you cool the PCM just by raising the hood, or blowing air on it (from a compressor, etc), you can push the connections, and voila, back in business.

When it won't start the symptom is the gas gauge, etc., won't register. When the gas and other gauges register, you start right away. I've had it die when driving, but not if I make sure to push on the pcm connectors before I start.

So is the PCM bad? I'm not sure if the PCM is actually bad, or is just doesn't get enough air flow, and there is some other actual problem, but no error codes get posted in the PCM memory. I suspect that if you carefully put some electrical connection compound like aluminox into the connector (not much) that the problem could be handled. You'd have to put a tiny amount in each of the female conector pins, making sure enough doesn't get in that would cause a short circuit. I've also thought about just routing a piece of three inch hose from the front fender towards the PCM to keep it cooler.

So in my case I almost bought a new PCM, glad I didn't! This weekend I'm going to pull the cover off the PCM and see if there is soemthing inside that is expanding, or if the metal cover plate is just warping, causing the problem. I'll let you know.

If you get a used or new PCM, your VIN number and milegae has to be flashed into the replacement unit, or you'll get error codes and funy gauge readings. Also, you have to match the PCM part number eaxctly. A PCM from a Dodge pickup 5.2L won;t work in a Durango with a 5.9L, etc. In my searching I did find one a gfew places that advertise rebuilding of your old PCM, etc on Ebay. I think I'd stay away from one from the junk yard. I did find another place that rebuilds PCMs, they will also flash your VIn number and mileage into the PCM for you. I can't find the link right now, but will look it up and post a followup after I open my PCM this weekend.

Old 09-09-2006, 07:59 AM
Chump
Captain

Try www.rockauto.com for a rebuilt. Dealer will have to do VIN and mileage.

Old 09-18-2006, 11:48 PM
Custnam

I went ahead and bought a new/remnufactured one from ecu direct.com for $434 and it fixed it. But the trucks being repoed soon. So Ill be pulling the good one out and reinstalling the bad one. So anyone that wants to get rid of their "no bus" problem for good make me a reasonable offer and Ill let it go. My email is Custnam@aol.com Thanks

Old 09-18-2006, 11:50 PM
Custnam

PS I have a 1999 Durango 5.9 . The part # is 56040 148 . So anyone with a vehicle (Ram , Durango , or any Dodge vehicle ) having this problem as long as your computer is the same part # it will fix it. Thank you and feel free to email me.

Old 09-21-2006, 04:17 PM
ldnews

Guys - This going to fly in the face of some of the discussions above.

I had the same problems.... stalling, particularly when it was hot outside....noBus...check engine...all that stuff. I replaced the crank sensor, wheel sensor and transmission speed sensor and nothing would work. The dealer said it was "probably" the PCM and they would charge $700 for the part plus the labor to install and the cost of flashing the unit. Of course, they told me that I couldn't do it myself and would not even sell the PCM without installation.

After some research, I found a reman PCM from RockAuto.com which ended up costing me $387 net. Before I ordered I called them to discuss the installation procedures and the need for having the PCM flashed or reprogrammed. They told me to simply disconnect the battery cable so that there was no possibility of power moving during the exchange, then remove the old PCM and replace it with the new unit. I then reconnected the battery cable and frankly, expected problems, since my vin, mileage and all the other good stuff, would not have been in the replacement unit.

Guess what?... they were on the money! The Durango started perfectly, ran smoothly and even a sluggish shifting problem I had not discussed with them, disappeared. Moreover, the odometer was correct, including the trip mileage.

All that was September 2005 and I have now gone over a year, including this summer with record heat, with nary a problem.

Hope this helps someone.

Dave

Quick Reply: Used PCM for 99 Durango