1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Freese Plug Replacement on 2001 Durango

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 10:53 PM
Floyd Harris
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freese Plug Replacement on 2001 Durango

I have seen lots of entries about freeze plugs on Dodge Durangos and this will seem like singing to the choir. I have 3 leaking freeze plugs, that I can see, on my 4.7L 2001. The dealer quoted me $1900 to replace them, (said all 10 need to be replaced) refill the radiator and do what they called R&R..whatever that is. For $5 worth of freeze plugs their replacement will be $1900. Does this sound like an example of dealer theft or is this typical for this type of work to be done? I will replace them myself and would appreciate any hints on what to expect etc.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:38 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Freese Plug Replacement on 2001 Durango

From what I understand about replacing all of the freeze plugs is that you would have to drop the tranny at least. It sounds like a lot of $ still though...

Old 09-19-2006, 02:08 AM
Floyd Harris

I appreciate the feedback. Two of the leaking plugs are behind the motor mounts so apparently to access these plugs the motor mounts will have to be removed so access to these plugs can happen. The rest of the freeze plugs should be fairly easy...I cannot imagine why the transmission would have to be unbolted or dropped unless it relates to the motor mount interference.

Old 09-19-2006, 03:02 PM
Mean Green
Champion

That's propably exactly what it is. When you do get those replaced go with the brass ones they will last longer. I would probably see about getting them changed somewhere else since that price sounds really high.

Old 09-19-2006, 03:19 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I have to shell out $1900, might as well take an extra step and get a new motor.

Old 09-19-2006, 03:22 PM
Floyd Harris

The dealer doesn't have brass plugs. Any suggestion where the brass plugs might be found?

Old 09-20-2006, 09:19 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Check into Autozone, Checker, NAPA, etc. Do not buy anything from Strauss if you have ever even heard of them, they sold me a lighter plug assembly that I could wire my cb up to and it blew out all of my plugs except for the actual cig lighter and the general manager won't even return my calls and is conveniently never around when I drop in... [:@] I took the plug apart and the + and - were touching WTF!?!?

Old 09-24-2006, 03:50 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: Floyd Harris

I have seen lots of entries about freeze plugs on Dodge Durangos and this will seem like singing to the choir. I have 3 leaking freeze plugs, that I can see, on my 4.7L 2001. The dealer quoted me $1900 to replace them, (said all 10 need to be replaced) refill the radiator and do what they called R&R..whatever that is. For $5 worth of freeze plugs their replacement will be $1900. Does this sound like an example of dealer theft or is this typical for this type of work to be done? I will replace them myself and would appreciate any hints on what to expect etc.
Here is your info:

Some of the freeze plugs were not any good. You can replace them but have a trusted mechanic do it for you. The reason the dealer wants to charge you that $1900 is there are two freeze plugs on the back of the motor. You can't tell if they are bad untell you unbolt the trans. This is why they want to charge you that cash. But here is the kicker. You can't see if they are bad. Dealers=bull****. Just have a shop put in the three bad plugs in and go back driving your ride. If you have a problem then deal with it.

They are just trying to get money out of you!

Quick Reply: Freese Plug Replacement on 2001 Durango