1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

98 Durango wont start

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 02:02 AM
98durango4x4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Durango wont start

this is my first post and i have a 98 durango w/ 105k miles on it, never really had any problems with it.
but today i went to go start it and i had no power, so i figured the battery was dead, so i hooked it up to my buddys car and i was able to get the accessories on but couldnt get the engine to turn over, and after tryin this numerous times i still got nothing.
so i waited awhile and called AAA to see if maybe they could jump start it but no luck there either. the tow truck driver said its prolly not the battery, he said the battery wasnt great but either way it shoulda been able to turn the engine over.
the starter has been replaced already so i doubt its that, i was thinkin maybe a fuse or somen in the fuel system but i really have no idea, so if anyone has any ideas or experience ur thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Old 09-28-2006, 02:50 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 98 Durango wont start

Don't rule out the battery just yet. I would take it to Auto Zone they will take it and put a charge on it to see if it can hold a load. Another thing is you should try cleaning up the terminals. I have had mine corrode and still been able to turn on lights and accessories and still not start because the corrosion did not allow enough power to be pulled from the battery (starting a car takes a lot of juice) Let me know how that works out.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:21 AM
98durango4x4

this is my first battery issues so how would you suggest i go about cleaning up the terminals?
and i was planning on goin outa town on friday so im just trying to get this fixed up as soon as possible cuz if its not a battery issue i was just going to take it to a shop to get it checked out

Old 09-28-2006, 01:05 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Well there is always the quick fix of pulling the cables off and pouring coke/pepsi on the wires and terminals. It will give you a sticky mess but works when you're on the go just rinse it with water. The right way to do it is to pick up a wire brush at Auto Zone (they make one that is specifically for cleaning batteries) and clean the terminals and wires put them back on the battery and then put some axle grease on them to keep air off the terminals to prevent future corrosion.

Old 09-28-2006, 01:11 PM
98durango4x4

well i was in a hurry so i just tried cleanin as much as i could off with a wrench, and it just so happened to work out, the cars been startin up no problem now, cant understand why the tow truck driver didnt try doing any of this

Old 09-28-2006, 01:17 PM
Mean Green
Champion

He is only required to know how to jump start a car, change a tire, and how to hook it up to his truck I think. Tow truck drivers are not experts in auto mechanics and some don't know anything beyond that (not to say I am but I know enough to keep the D going ). Definitely sounds like your connection now though, clean it up real good and you'll be fine. (Oh and cleaning it with coke/pepsi sounds stupid but it is all the acidity in the soda that eats off the corrosion)

Old 09-28-2006, 01:27 PM
89Daytona
Veteran

Baking soda and water also works to clean the terminals. And dielectric grease is the type of grease that is supposed to be used with electrical connections.

Old 09-28-2006, 01:46 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I always used baking soda and water to clean off my battery terminals. It does a very very thorough cleaning. Baking soda absorbs and neutralizes acid like a sponge. Afterwards, I re-attach the cables and buy some of those battery terminal ring pads that prevent corrosions. Also buy some of that spray that you spray on for added protection. To this date, all my vehicles, with the ring pads and the spray on protection, the terminals still look brand new.

Old 09-30-2006, 05:10 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks Kensai for that write up[&:]

It is always a good idea to buy a manual for your rig. The baking powder trick is by far the best. Coke is for one of those times when your out on the trail. Not by far the best idea to use at home. But it will work.

The best way to deal with this problem is to do what Kensai says.

Old 09-30-2006, 06:09 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Yeah I had never heard about the baking soda but it is definitely a better idea. considering it is a base and the corrosion is an acid...

Quick Reply: 98 Durango wont start