Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Difference's in 4X4 PT, Low, Hi, AWD

On our rigs it is like this.

2 Hi
4 Part Time
4 Hi
Neutral
4 Low

Yes there is 5 selections. Your buddy does not have 4 Part Time transfer case if it is not labeled.[>:]

The 4 Hi is for all road surfaces as stated. The 4 Part Time is in full lock position just like 4 low. (Very loose surfaces only) Also it is only for Part Time use. Basically it is just a faster 4 low. There is no slip in the transfer case in 4 Low and in 4 Part Time. There is slip in the 4 Hi on our rides equipt with a Part Time transfer case. In your truck with AWD it is just like ours in 4 Hi except in AWD the computer monitors the wheels that slip and transfer the power to the wheels that grip (they both have slip in the transfer case to deal with axle bind.)

Your 4 Hi is like our 4 Part Time. (No slip in the transfer case)

Old 11-15-2006, 01:24 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking down on mine I have

4 Low
Neutral
2 WD
4 Hi

Good enough for me.

Old 11-15-2006, 03:21 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never seen that setup (5 modes) before. I can understand why restless brought up this very confusing question. Almost looking like you can have a full time AWD mode (4WD HI) or just plain 2WD mode. My buddie's 4X4 durango just has the setup that Mean Green and I mentioned.

Still by definition, that is so confusing, when we see 4WD HI on our traditional 4 modes, it references 4WD High in Locked mode just like 4WD Low. Did they changed this meaning around on purpose to throw us old timer school 4 wheeler's off when they threw in a fifth 4WD part time mode and then they call that 4WD high in full lock mode and the traditional definition of 4WD High as driving for all road surfaces (sounds like full time or AWD mode to me)?

Now I am in restless's corner and have my dunce hat on now.

Old 11-15-2006, 12:49 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

[sm=Flahssssss.gif]That dunce hat is a Kodak momment.

4 Hi is like AWD but without the computer watching your wheel spin.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:58 AM
RebelX
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

reviving a beaten horse here. i noticed tonite when i locked in my 4x4 to deal with some sleet covered roads that my dash said 4x4 Part Time. but my transfer case **** says
2wd
4HI
N
4LO

could my transfer case of been replaced? or am i reading something wrong. or does it mean that its only used part time since i dont have the AWD of a R/T? just trying to understand my Durango better as this is my first Dodge vehicle. the rest have been Chevrolet's.

Old 11-30-2006, 07:45 AM
restlesswynd

thank you Hydra, i was wanting clarification between 4pt and 4hi

thanks for clearing it all up guys!

Old 12-01-2006, 12:54 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

ORIGINAL: RebelX

reviving a beaten horse here. i noticed tonite when i locked in my 4x4 to deal with some sleet covered roads that my dash said 4x4 Part Time. but my transfer case **** says
2wd
4HI
N
4LO

could my transfer case of been replaced? or am i reading something wrong. or does it mean that its only used part time since i dont have the AWD of a R/T? just trying to understand my Durango better as this is my first Dodge vehicle. the rest have been Chevrolet's.

Sounds to me like the T-Case was replaced with a newer model. You just lack that selection now but no big deal.

Old 12-01-2006, 06:38 PM
BLACKonBLACKonBLACK
Rookie

This is how mine works

4 Low - Oh **** were going to die!
Neutral - Towing
2 WD - Normal Day to day driving
4 Hi - Its snowing

Old 12-01-2006, 08:59 PM
HeavyD
Professional

IN the 98 and 88 year models you could have the choice of the 2 different 4 wheel drive features,
they were something like this: 2wd 4HI N 4LO or the 2 HI 4 Part Time 4 Hi N 4LO (this was called a full time transfer case)

Starting in the year 2000 they did away with the 2wd selection. And all trucks had 4PT 4HI N 4Lo.
With the about models the Part time switch didn't lock the the out put drive shaft axles. So it was like an open rear in a way. In the HI4 and LO4 the transfer cse lock the front and rear drives shaft to a 1 to 1 ratio, (like a posi tracking) the front and rear axles were open rears, uinless you ordered the posi traction rear, THe front axle is always an open rear. If the front axles was locked you tires would turn the same speed all the time and you wouldn't be able to steer

then in the later years they came out with the dash switch, what brought back 2wd but also introduced the AWD selection also

Old 12-01-2006, 10:34 PM
RebelX
Professional

ORIGINAL: hydrashocker

ORIGINAL: RebelX

2wd
4HI
N
4LO

Sounds to me like the T-Case was replaced with a newer model. You just lack that selection now but no big deal.
i'll pull the numbers off the t-case tommorrow since im dropping my skid plates to clean them off since i noticed dried mud on them an di dont wait it to ruin any of my seals n cause something to go bad.

Quick Reply: Difference's in 4X4 PT, Low, Hi, AWD